Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Do you feed your babies raw eggs?

Discussion in 'BARF, Raw & Natural Diets' started by Lahree, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Lahree

Lahree Forums Enthusiast

Dec 15, 2008
    North Texas
    I have read such conflicting information on the internet I am ready to tear my hair out. Is it ok to feed your dogs raw eggs periodically? I have made Ellie scrambled eggs before but have never given her a raw egg.

2. mellie

mellie Forums Enthusiast

May 18, 2011
    East Coast
    I have been giving dogs (and cats) raw eggs for at least 40 years with absolutely no problems. I give egg shells too, but Sally isn't wild about them unless they are crushed pretty fine. I will also feed cooked eggs as well, a slice of gluten free toast on the side...:wink2:

3. biowicks

biowicks Forums Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2012
    Michigan
    I see no problem with giving raw eggs, except for the reality that occasionally there will be salmonella in them. Having had that happen to me once, blowing out eggs for an Easter egg tree, I wouldn't have thought of it. And I washed the eggs before I did it, too. Rather than take the risk (small but present) I always give scrambled eggs. You can now buy pasturized raw eggs (in a milk carton, not whole in the shell) in most groceries. Those would be safe :smile2:

4. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Fed my guys yogurt and egg for breakfast at least once a week for 11 years, they loved it!

5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    If you are going to feed raw eggs make sure you wash the outside of the shell before you crack it open and store them in the fridge. Most of the salmonella resides on the outside but can make it inside an egg through a thin shell (or by having dirt on the outside), refridgeration helps reduce the chance of the salmonella getting inside the egg. Keep in mind though that the bioavailability of protein is twice as high in a cooked egg.

6. Lahree

Lahree Forums Enthusiast

Dec 15, 2008
    North Texas
    My husband was making hard boiled eggs and when he was getting one of the eggs out of the carton, he accidently punched a hole in one with his thumb, so he put the egg in Ellie's bowl and gave it to her. So, the egg shell was definitely not washed, but the egg had been refrigerated. She shows no ill effects, but any time in the future we give her a raw egg, I will make sure the shell is washed beforehand.

Thank you all for your replies!

7. Justme

Justme Forums Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2011
    Minneapolis, MN
    From the American Egg Board:

"Since raw eggs may contain the bacteria Salmonella enteritidis, it’s recommended that you don’t consume raw or undercooked eggs. Salmonella may be found inside the egg, most likely in the white, so it’s necessary to properly cook all eggs and egg dishes before eating."

http://www.incredibleegg.org/egg-facts/eggcyclopedia/r/raw-eggs

8. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    Salmonella is in EVERYTHING. It's on meat, eggs, KIBBLE, everything.

Get over it, and take reasonable precautions. Dogs are much less susceptible to getting sick from it than we are.

My dogs eat whole unwashed, refrigerated eggs.

9. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    From reading the raw diet forums, my understanding is that dogs are less susceptible to Salmonella. Since Salmonella isn't an issue in dogs healthy dogs on a raw diet, wouldn't it be the same for eggs?

10. Justme

Justme Forums Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2011
    Minneapolis, MN
    Cooking is a reasonable precaution. That's why both the AEB and FDA recommend it.

In our area, you can also get pasteurized-in-the-shell eggs that are safe, but still look like raw eggs.

"Even eggs with clean, uncracked shells may occasionally contain bacteria called Salmonella that can cause an intestinal infection.The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) estimates that 142,000 illnesses each year are caused by consuming eggs contaminated with Salmonella...Thorough cooking is perhaps the most important step in making sure eggs are safe."

http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/BuyStoreServeSafeFood/ucm077342.htm