Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Do You Worry That Your Pet Could Outlive You?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by ghggp, Jan 23, 2021.

Tags:

Do you have a WILL for your pets incase you are no longer able to care for them or pass away?

Poll closed Feb 22, 2021.
  1. Yes

66.7%
  2. No

33.3%
  1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Ok, since COVID I have thought about what might happen to my boys if something ever happened to me.
    As I am single and have not even created a will (I am 66 now!), I felt it was high time that I get serious and created a plan. Especially since I have not been able to find work I have the time now!

I came across this website and wanted to share as it helped me to get started and focus on the details necessary to make sure my estate identified my boy's information, healthcare, vet information, food, and nutritional, and financial needs.

Yes, I signed a contract with the breeders and will most certainly honor it. However, if they do not want the dogs back it is up to me that they are taken care of.

Just wanted to share in hopes others might find these sites useful as I did...

https://www.2ndchance4pets.org/
    https://www.2ndchance4pets.org/help.html
    https://www.2ndchance4pets.org/resources.html

PET CARE WORKBOOK
    https://www.2ndchance4pets.org/2nd Chance 4 Pets Pet Care Instructions Workbook Copyright 2013.pdf

2021-01-23_10-46-23.jpg

2. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Gloria, this is a worry for everyone, more so for seniors and more so now with Covid...but no matter our age or health we never know what life has in store for us or when it could suddenly be taken away. We have always had our dogs included in our wills with instructions for placement if family cannot take them. It is so important to do this so they don't end up in a shelter or considered not adoptable due to age or medical issues and put to sleep.
    Trini

3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I am not surprised, Trini that you are so proactive! The most terrible thing I can think of is anyone's beloved pet ending up in a shelter!

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    my mom died unexpectedly some years ago so I had a will made up after that as she did not have one. at the time, neither did my dad but he also has one now. I had different dogs then so I've wondered how to update to make sure the current dogs are accounted for........

5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Wonderful resource, Gloria! We do have our dogs in our will, instructions written out for our petsitter in case something happened to both of us while we were travelling, etc. We have been "godparents" to a dog as well for a friend. It is definitely most concerning during this pandemic as well. And having the breeders as a backstop to take the dogs back is a godsend.

Caro, Hanne, Sandy in CT and 3 others like this.
  6. Elei

Elei Premium Member

Jul 10, 2019
    I’m in my mid twenties but I think about this too. Although I don’t have a written will for my dogs, I’ve talked about it with my family and the breeder is there for Kip if necessary. Since Jessie is a rescue she doesn’t have that, but multiple members of my family would take her if needed.

Hanne, Sandy in CT, Darren and 3 others like this.
  7. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    It is easy to add an amendment to your will or trust in order to update it without having to totally redo it. We just had our lawyer do this for us and have had to do this a few times with having different dogs, added grandkids and great grandkids. Or if you have someone you fully trust you can appoint them as having the authority to make decision/placements for your dogs. Trini

8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    My goddaughter will get our house upon our death, and she has expressed her complete willingness to care for any animals we have at the time. Thanks to her, we have no worries.

9. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    I would not be here if it was not for a will. A co-worker's mother-in-law's will gave the house and her Sheltie Nikki, to his wife. My wife and I were thinking about a Collie until we met Nikki. We fell in love with her, and the rest is history. My daughter has been appointed care taker of our estate. Her four children adore Zulu, he will always be in good hands.

10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    thanks for the info- really need to look into that.......