Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Do Your Shelties Ever Mind the Cold?

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Fasb's Owner, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Fasb's Owner

Fasb's Owner Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    I came across an older sheltieforums thread last night

http://sheltieforums.com/showthread.php?t=4075

where the op asks what the ideal temperature for a sheltie would be. She/he heard somewhere that the ideal temp was 72 degrees.

Anyone agree? That seems a little high to me. AFAIK, shelties were originally bred to live outdoors in fairly harsh environments. I've always assumed they tolerated cold fairly well. Fasb seems to. We've walked in single digit temps before and he shows how cold he is by wasting a lot of time eating snow and rolling around.

Thoughts? Is there an ideal temp for a sheltie? For that matter, are there subtle signs that a sheltie is cold/ I've never seen Fasb shiver or curl up in a ball in winter. Generally, in the head of winter, he still spends a lot of time sleeping on tile floors or in the coldest part of the house. He does sleep on furniture more during winter, but probably not more than 50 percent of the time. Generally, he avoids blankets if we try to cover him.

I've kinda wondered how well Fasb adapts to temps in the house. Heat bothers him once in a while in the summer, but he's an indoor dog and we have central ac. In the winter, we keep the thermostat in the 70's, but it's an older drafty house w/ low humidity and we mostly run a heat pump which I find somewhat uncomfortable. I'm kinda curious how "colder heat" feels to a sheltie.

Thoughts. I'd kinda like to know what the signs of cold are. My vets have always said, "Oh, you'd know if he was cold" and the only signs I've heard of are shivering and curling up.

2. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    mine have quivered

As my shelties aged, they didn't like to go out in weather below 20 unless they had their sweaters, they would quiver and shake, so I took that as a sign they needed an extra layer...my 1st didn't like cold feet, and I solved that back then with baby tube socks, that kept snow from freezing between her paws and snowballs forming. I sprayed them (the socks) with drifab(amway product) to keep them moisture proof. Next one wouldn't tolerate anything on her paws, but she grew shorter paw fur. She loved the snow as long as it wasn't (-) temps. Kaleigh seems to enjoy the snow, this is her first exposure to it, her coat is coming in but not quite full yet, she is coming up on 10 mths, but doesn't seem to mind the cold. It got to 5 degrees, yesterday, and she was running around loving it-don't have her in a sweater. Savannah, the 9 wk old, likes it until her feet get cold, then she is crying. I have a thick irish cable knit sweater for her. She shivers, and that is my sign to get her inside. I have infared heaters-those kind that resemble wood stoves that I use mostly-my house has forced air but I find that too drying in our already DRY climate, so I use the other ones as my main heat source, I can't stand to be in heated air environments much above 60. So in the winter my shelties grew really thick coats.

3. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Just for fun I looked up the average temps in the Shetland Islands. I was surprised how mild it is. And WET.

"Shetland Islands has a mild humid temperate climate with warm summers and no dry season. The area within 25 miles of this station is covered by oceans and seas (94%) and grasslands (4%).
    Temperature

Over the course of a year, the temperature typically varies from 38°F to 58°F and is rarely below 31°F or above 62°F.
    Precipitation

During the warm season, which lasts from June 25 to September 16, there is a 77% average chance that precipitation will be observed at some point during a given day.
    During the cold season, which lasts from December 1 to April 8, there is a 85% average chance that precipitation will be observed at some point during a given day."

4. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    No wonder most Shelties don't like water!

Considering I live in Houston, TX, we don't get super cold winters. We have a few days where it dips below freezing and an ice storm here and there, but nothing like a regular winter up north. All my Shelties have LOVED cold weather. Jasmine, my first Sheltie, used to love when it got cold outside and she would get so giddy running around outside. We had a hard time getting her to come back inside. Missy does the same thing. She's just extra happy to be outside when the weather is colder. She's always a bit more silly.

5. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    My two LOVE the cold; it's ME who hates it! :lol: If there's snow on the ground, they want to be outside every 30 minutes to lick at it. The only clothing I put on my guys are booties on the paws to protect them from road salt.

When it gets into single and negative number temperatures I make sure they aren't outside for an extended period of time. THEY may think they're fine but in extreme cold weather it's my job to keep them safe and that means inside.

kazie likes this.
  6. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Spitfire likes cold but Sca would be a house dog at all times other than frisbee/tennis ball time if he had his way.

7. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny
    Anything over mid 60's and my gang is hot. They all love cold and snow. The more snow the better as far as they are concerned.

Trini

8. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    What don't tell the duck shelties around here. :lol:

My guys love the cold. I have a hard time getting them inside in the winter. below 0 is hit or miss. Ember hates it, Birch does not mind at all.

9. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I have a duck Sheltie myself. I was just saying that with the climate in the Shetland Islands, they probably got tired of all the rain and that's why most Shelties don't like water. Obviously you guys are breeding the duck Shelties in Minnesota!

10. MissieLynn

MissieLynn Forums Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Emmy loooooooves the cold weather! Anything above 75 is blech for her...and me! I'm a cold weather gal too, so we get along nicely in the winter! :biggrin2: