Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Do your Shelties like apples

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by SheepOfBlue, Jan 7, 2021.

1. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Lately I have been coring apples and eating the wedges. When I am in the kitchen I am mobbed! I mean this might even exceed turkey level enthusiasm. The guys have never had apples but are so bad that Spitfire almost tripped me last time. Turkey gets attention but otherwise the begging is more low key looking for opportunity. But my coring an apple about sends them into a frenzy.

How about it?

RikyR, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    have never shared apples with the pack.
    too lazy to core-I just eat the apple- doesn't cause any more frenzy than other foods.....

Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    YES. They know when I'm quartering an apple. They love it. Banana is by far the favorite here though, gets pretty obnoxious with the staring and nose-poking while you are eating one. The funniest thing is they know the grater - if we grate carrots for a salad they get the end piece - when the grater hits the counter they are all suddenly in the kitchen! :lol:

JacqueZ, RikyR, DianeP and 2 others like this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Same here Sharon...banana gets shared with them EVERY morning, morning is the happiest time for Piper...he spins as soon as he hits the kitchen! A few times we had no bananas so rather than having disappointed dogs I asked them if they wanted a banapple...didn’t want them to think it was different than a banana:ROFLMAO:...definitely a big hit. He now spins for either a banana or a banapple:lol:

Hanne, JacqueZ, RikyR and 3 others like this.
  5. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Fruit is a hit here. They don't get much (high sugar) but a bitty bite now and then never hurt anyone...

6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Ours all say, "Meh. If it's all ya got...maybe."

RikyR, Piper's mom, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  7. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Oberon loves all fruit -- apples, pears, peaches, everything. His favorite is blackberries. Tomatoes also cause spinning, barking, bowing.

RikyR, DianeP, Piper's mom and 2 others like this.
  8. Bill Porter

Bill Porter Premium Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Remy loves to eat apples. My wife is stingy and gives him a little (she doesn't want to affect his poops). I however give him bites in chunks. I used to put it in his Kong but he can't figure out how to remove the apple, so now he just gets it straight up.

9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Yep, mine LOVE apples! I peel and quarter them and mine get the slices of skin. It's like Sheltie potato chips. Flurry wasn't sure at first but then she saw her roommates' reaction and jumped right in. My canary loves them too!

10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    My boys LOVE apples!
    They go nuts over them!

Piper's mom, Sharon7 and SheepOfBlue like this.