Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Does anyone here slack off sometimes in their Sheltie training?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by KarenCurtis, Feb 19, 2019.

1. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I ask this because I have taken it for granted; Sandstorm and I have practiced sit stays, freeze stays, and he's been perfect! We did this because about a year ago I realized we weren't practicing at all, and it showed. Sandstorm's recall is great outside except when he has found something to eat, lol! Today we went to a pet supply store, he met people and dogs, he was excellent! We met dogs on an open trail and he was great. He's perfect on walks except when other people pass us on the road. I used to have him sit/stay and give a treat, and that helped, because he will bark and spin a bit when people pass. I haven't followed through with the sit/stay/treat on walks for quite a while, now I am wondering why- we have to get back to that!! Since I'm getting a puppy soon all the more reason to do it! And training can be fun- but it is life long for the dog.

Caro, ghggp and Calliesmom like this.
  2. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Since Gavin can no longer hear me, things have totally slacked off! I can tell him drop it as much as I want, but if he isn't looking at me to see hand signals it is meaningless.
    I have yet to invest in how to get him to look at me..all my fault I know. But commanding 'look at me' does no good.
    I am lucky he is a well behaved guy..and yes I still talk to him all the time!

3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I'm sure we all do that Karen, then the dogs get lazy and forget their training lol (totally our fault). I went a month without working Piper or Finnie! Got back to work with them and Piper is a little rusty but Finnie's a good boy, he remembers it lol. Sometimes it's good to keep taking classes whether it be nose work or tracking or agility...keeps you working them. I'm going to enter Finnie in a class just for the socialization (we've been taking private classes but he needs the distractions (he's such a nervous boy) plus we'd never pass stand for examination in obedience because he doesn't like it when someone approaches him!

Forgot to mention that Sandstorm sounds just like Piper except it's the dogs he sees on walks that cause him to spin he gets so excited! We also do sit/stays until they pass. He wants to play with every dog he meets lol!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    KarenCurtis and ghggp like this.
  4. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Yes, we do tend to slack sometimes. Lately I have been making Shelby work for her after dinner treats. Running through our sit, shake, high five, touch, roll over, play dead and spin & twirl. And I do take her to nosework class a few times a month just to keep her socialized and for something to do. We are at level 5, and we don’t compete so we can drop in a class whenever we want.

We really have to reinforce her recall. Lately she has been holding out until we mention the word “treat”. That word will get her to come immediately. Maybe I should change the command to “treat”

KarenCurtis and Piper's mom like this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    “stand for examination in obedience because he doesn't like it when someone approaches him!“

Yep, that is Liam’s issue too!
    Slack off, absolutely! I feel a bit bad about it but with Liam being so sensitive I thought I would not force classes on him again until he gets older!

Hope I don’t make a mistake by waiting but he just did not seem to enjoy classes. We shall see!

6. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I wish I could retire now!! I can't for another 2 years, I'd have so much more time. We are taking puppy to class. Looking back, I wish we had taken Sandstorm. He's pretty good, doggie daycare helps.

Piper's mom likes this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I hear ya Karen...having more time for the puppy is always better! I was very fortunate (in a way) when Piper came home. I was on holidays for 10 days and so incredibly worried about leaving him...I swear it was like he was my baby, my sister was going to babysit him while I was working but I was so afraid something would happen or he'd get out of her yard (he was very small, probably 9" and only 6 pounds).
    The day before I was to return to work I visited my sister with Piper and was going to head to the store and leave him with her (sort of a test on how he'd do). I went out her front door and down the steps and twisted my ankle in a crack in her sidewalk!
    We sat on her steps icing my ankle for the next hour (I had to wait for the nausea to pass) and the next day went for an X-ray ...hair line fracture lol but gave me 3 more weeks with Piper (although it was difficult taking him out to potty at first lol).
    I didn't return to work until he was 15 weeks old, much bigger and my yard was totally puppy proof...no escape routes for a small pup.
    This was in June/July and in August I totalled my car and was off for 2 weeks and had more time to spend with him!
    It really made such a difference in his socialization (compared to Finnie where I had just 10 days off) even though it was a bad year as far as accidents went for me in was a great time to get a puppy! :ROFLMAO::);)

KarenCurtis likes this.
  8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Layla has "retired" from any tricks. She is so laid back that I don't have to do anything -- when we go out, she just automatically does what she's supposed to do (lies down by my chair or by the pew in church). She responds (sort of) to hand signals for come (she's lost most of her hearing). Bits is so frail that we don's ask anything of her. Colonel Underpants snaps right back into training mode when I have a treat and ask him to do his stuff. Penny has learned to be calm when she accompanies Brad, and she comes unless she's chasing deer.

Bottom line: we're all slackers here at Nattering Springs!! :lol:

9. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Oh poor you!! I'm just going to have to take puppy out when I get home from work, at least I get home at 3:00. I'll have about 5 weeks left of work when I get puppy. It will be hard, but doable. My niece will come every day on her lunch hour, she works down the street.

Piper's mom likes this.
  10. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    :lol:
    :lol: