Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Does colour define temperament?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by labgirl, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Selena Wohlslagel

Selena Wohlslagel Premium Member

Feb 10, 2021
    My Blue Merle Peppy was very active, sweet and devoted and would catch a frisbee for hours if you could last at it that long.peppywas neutered male with gray and sable and black and white swirled coat and blue eyes. .He was a good shepherd with my then infant son.laddie my very first sheltie was sable and very calm and serene.of course he barked.but not a great deal.i was 11 and he was my best friend and I loved him so much. He was devoted.and primarily bonded to me. Content to lay on side lines when we played tag football and right up and ready to go for the run back home when we were done playing ball.laddie had brown eyes

Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  2. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021
    If Little Luke is a merle I am thrilled to know that. But I'd love him if he is a Tri. Little Luke Skywalker is precious. Blue eyes and all.thank you for advising me.i had wondered about the dash of grey behind his ears and here and there else where. My Blue eyed Boy.

Ron Atkinson and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021
    don't ever buy a puppy from a pet store!!! And please understand that these are great people on here with good advice. In no way do they look down upon you just because you are learning. You are in the right place to get top advice. The Sheltie is a very special dog. There's a lot to learn if they are new to you as a breed. I'm 73 and I have a doctorate but I am still learning too. Everyone here is here to help and for help to keep our wonderful dogs healthy and happy. big HUGS to all

Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  4. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021
    And now I know Luke has a third issue probably caused by a puppy mill breeders. But I love him and yes I spoil him.

Ron Atkinson and Piper's mom like this.
  5. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    I would say yes. The gray is a second indicator. Very unusual coloring though it sounds like. Give him extra pets from us.

Oh and being a merle is not an issue at all. The thing is double merles not merles. Breeding two can result in some beautiful puppies with catastrophic health issues being probable to the point I would curse someone doing it to their face. As far as a regular merle...Angus is a Blue Merle ;)

6. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021
    Luke won't be bred
    He's neutered and not show quality but we love him.

Ron Atkinson, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  7. Scout’s Mom

Scout’s Mom Forums Enthusiast

May 20, 2021
    Gulf Shores, AL
    What about a sable dam and a blue sire?

8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    if you're asking what color puppies come from a sable dam and a blue merle sire- it will depend on their genetics. if you're asking about the puppy temperaments, color isn't the factor to worry about.
    if the sable is pure for sable, you will get sable puppies and possibly sable merle puppies. my sable merle came from the other way- blue merle dam and sable sire although he wasn't pure for sable but a tri factored sable.
    let me see if I can find the link for the coat color calculator......

9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Meadow is from a blue merle mom and a sable dad and she is a sable merle. Elijah also had a different blue merle mom and a sable dad, and he is a sable.

10. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021
    I am guessing Luke is a Merle with tri color. Frankly the only thing I see in coat color difference is that black brothers my allergies more. Many breeds of dogs are bred for aggression. And the German Shepherd is part of the sheltie line. But none of my Sheltie have ever been aggressive. And I did statisical research in college... So I know that some research is really not well done or worth reading love love hugs