Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Does Your Shelie Like To Eat Strange Things?

Discussion in 'Favorites' started by OntarioSheltie, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Sadie LOVES eating dirt and small stones. I try to discourage her but its impossible because she does it ALL THE TIME. When she goes outside the first thing she does is run over to eat dirt. :no:

It would be nice if I could let her go in the back yard by herself some times but its hard to keep her from eating dirt and stones when I'm around, let alone when she's by herself.

Is this bad for her? I would think it is! :(

2. graydawntreader

graydawntreader Forums Enthusiast

Mar 29, 2008
    St. Marys, GA
    Yup!

Treader likes to snack on weeds and some types of grass.:biggrin2:
    I wouldn't let her swallow dirt, but like you I wouldn't know how to prevent it. You could try distracting her with some good food (like a treat) and rewarding her for leaving it alone. But, eating dirt is probably even more rewarding for her than any other rewards that you could offer, so...

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    My pups do like to graze on grass sometimes, also acorns are apparently yummy. haven't seen any dirt eating- that would be hard to control unless you were watching every minute :winkgrin:.

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Eeeuuwwww

You guys are lucky you don't have horses. Let me tell you what gourmet treats those marbles in the pasture are....and then they come in and kiss you....:uhoh:

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Not too sure that I'd accept those kisses- brush those teeth first :lol:

6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Let's see...Layla nibbles toilet paper. So far, she hasn't ecpressed a brand preference. :winkgrin: Bits prefers snacking on the occasional slipper. Annie Laurie is the only one who doesn't seem to want to be adventurous!

7. drunkmike

drunkmike Forums Regular

May 14, 2008
    Cali loves to eat grass and the she also chews on the leftover seeds that fall from the birdfeeder. She also has recently started getting into the small trash can in the bathroom and bringing me old tissues and q-tips so I had to get rid of that thing before I started seeing old bathroom stuff in her poop! Luckily she did not chew it really but was bringing it to me more as a present I guess LOL

8. elaine2004

elaine2004 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2008
    Landaff, NH
    Ontariosheltie

My Kiara does the same. She is a dirt , pebbles, and grass eater. :eek2:I try to keep her away from the stuff as much as I can. I keep treats in my pockets and when ever I see her doing something she shouldn't I remove her from the place and give her something she can eat.
    I'm glad I don't have horses Ann.:lol: Although there must be something to it because the wild turkeys up this way love the horse and cow poo.:eek2: No wild turkey eating for me.:lol:

9. Hunter's Mom

Hunter's Mom Forums Regular

May 17, 2008
    South Central, MN
    Extracurricular Snacking!

Oh yes! Grass is popular around here as are 'cat box crunchies' EW!:dead:
    Tell me something, why is it after they eat or roll in something REALLY gross, they insist on coming over to us to slobber us in kisses and demand petting? Are they asking for congratulations for this icky activity?

10. thebippies

thebippies Forums Regular

May 13, 2008
    Bippie will eat anything! We were out of town for the weekend & while playing frisbee in a field Bippie ran across the field with what looked like a bird carcass sticking out of her mouth - I had to pry it out...Also in her poo today was hair and something bright pink and green. Rachael on the other hand will eat whatever falls on the kitchen floor, but she does'nt go out of her way to eat poop, rocks, hair, etc like her sister.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.