Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Does your Sheltie lie about having to go potty?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Stewart Werley, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Stewart Werley

Stewart Werley Forums Regular

Feb 27, 2018
    Chewie circles the living room perimeter then stops in front of one of us and stares when he has to potty. Many times he'll repeat this pattern if no one jumps immediately to take him out.

But it seems like he's gotten a little cabin fever in the cold weather and sometimes he'll do this and we'll take him out, and he just gets outside and decides to chill out: only sniffing, or just watching something that only he can see or hear and sometimes he'll just lie down for a while, in the snow, and look around. On those occasions, it seems he was only acting about having to go outside, just because he wanted some fresh air.

After we come in, it might actually be an hour or two before he legitimately needs to go out; so I know he was faking. Oh, and when he does have to go, he enjoys making two trips out of it so that he can get his reward cookie two times; once for each trip

Do any of you experience this?

KarenCurtis and ghggp like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Yep, Beau is notorious for acting as if he has to go out as does Liam! They have us well trained for sure! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

KarenCurtis and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    My older boy Riley is ALWAYS doing that! Sounds like a cousin of Chewy lol...he does the circle too only to go outside and lay in the snow, even in -20 weather!
    He has my mom soooo wrapped around his paw, he'd go outside 20/ day if I didn't stop it occasionally. As it is he will go out at least 5 times from 9 am-noon...no way he HAS to go! And on a mild winter day good luck getting him back in!

KarenCurtis likes this.
  4. Sunflower77

Sunflower77 Forums Regular

Feb 6, 2019
    I put a potty bell on my deck door. Sparkle finally learned how to use it. But she’s been ringing the bell a lot just to go out and have fun.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    KarenCurtis likes this.
  5. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I look at it the opposite way :lol:

Minnie says she would like to go out :yes:
    - maybe she just want to lie down out there to sniff and enjoy the fresh air

If she has to potty then she does it at the same time :biggrin2:

KarenCurtis, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    The doggie door we have helps with this. Penny doesn't use it, but she also doesn't fib. Bitsy is pretty truthful, too -- unless she wants to eat snow! Then she lies like a rug!! :whistle:

KarenCurtis, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  7. pomshe

pomshe Forums Regular

Apr 6, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    LOL, my Jesse does this all the time! Drives me crazy! He will stand there and stare at me until I say "Do you have to go potty?" and then he spins in circles until I take him out and he just wants to sniff around. He will do this multiple times a day when he really only needs to go out 3-4 times to do his business. My older guy never tells me he has to go out and holds it until I take him out 3 times a day.

KarenCurtis and Piper's mom like this.
  8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I like your way of thinking Hanne but when it's -30 outside I really don't like opening the door that many times lol. My dogs lie...at least Riley does, Finnie can always pee (and since he's had 2 accidents in the house in the past week he goes out whenever Riley does) and Piper likes to play lol!

Hanne and KarenCurtis like this.
  9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I kinda have the opposite problem. Not one of my Shelties signals to go out unless it's an emergency. Then Brooke will do tight circles, Faith will go to the sliding door and stare out. Eli came up a few weeks ago and just stared at me, and somehow, I got the message! :lol: But mostly they just go after breakfast, lunch time, afternoon walk and bedtime. I guess we have a pretty boring routine!:uhoh:

Also, due to our mild weather they are in and out a lot with me, into the backyard since I like to garden.

ghggp and KarenCurtis like this.
  10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Tully is too polite to ask, which is a nuisance because she needs to drink more and toilet more, and she has had the occasional accident. But Mr D used to ask just for attention, he'd go outside and just bark.

RikyR, ghggp and KarenCurtis like this.