Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Dog Backpack recommendation?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Leashes & Collars' started by eyost, Apr 28, 2014.

1. eyost

eyost Forums Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    NC
    Hi all,

I am looking for a recommendation for good backpacks for our 13 pound male sheltie. I have seen ones that are Outward Hound but didn't know if you all had any favorites.

Also, is a 13 pound Sheltie too small for a backpack? Granted, I won't load it up with a ton of stuff - just poopy bags, water bowl, and some water. Figured this would be good as it would give him a job.

Thanks,

Ed

2. BarbV

BarbV Premium Member

I sell both outward hound and ezydog summit in my store. They are both fine, but fit is everything.

I would be concerned about a bacpach on a 13.lb dog.

The weight of the pack and the water alone would probably be 1/3 your dogs weight. Ezydogs smallest size is for dogs 15-40 lbs.

Why do you want such a small dog to carry to carry his own gear?

3. cookieP

cookieP Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2014
    Spartanburg, SC
    I have the small Outward Hound backpack and Cookie loves it. He is a 20 lb sheltie and he really loves wearing it. Sometimes I only put his poop bags in it, but he still loves it. He walks more calmly, takes on a different demeanor…it is great for hiking. Helps him stay focused. He carries a portable water bowl, his poop bags, and sometimes a ziploc of chicken jerky with no trouble.

4. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Interesting, I am not sure what's the benefit of making dogs carry stuff, either. Unless it's a carting type dog who have that kind of background... there are lots of other ways you could give your Sheltie a job, if you can't find a backpack suitable :D

5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    It is something CM recommends. Supposedly you are giving your dog a job when walking. To me it doesn't make sense - why would a herding dog think it's doing anything but carrying something on it's back, it's hardly stimulating the mind (although for the big not so bright breeds it may mean something). I can see it might tire a dog out more - it's not different to carrying extra fat around. Of course it does make things easier for the owner if they don't have to carry everything.

I have a dog rain coat with pockets that Deska used to wear to help me load the dishwasher. I'd put things in the pocket and he'd carry them into the laundry (to the dishwasher). That lasted a few months until he figured out it was more fun just licking out the dishwasher.:rolleyes2:

Personally I wouldn't put anything heavy on a small dog. I can't imagine making little Tully carry a water bottle. And really, a dog's back is not designed to carry things on it - so I'd be wary about doing damage by weighing down a dog for any length of time. When we carry things on our backs not all the weight is on our bodies, and the centre of gravity is different. With dogs all the weight would weigh down the least supported part of their backs.

6. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    that's what I am afraid of, another stupid Cedar Milan rule, that man is a menace to dogs everywhere :(

7. eyost

eyost Forums Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    NC
    Yeah, thanks for the information. He is a little guy so we may have to opt out of the backup and give him a different job.

Thanks for the info.

Ed

8. eyost

eyost Forums Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    NC
    Good point about the herding dog. We are already doing agility to help with that drive. Just want to fill in the gaps between agility time to keep him busy.

Plus - he's a small boy and that would be asking a lot of him.

Ed

9. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    awesome, I just love agility :D

10. Zeb & Bell

Zeb & Bell Forums Novice

Sunday
    I have had shelties for the last 35 years or so and currently have a half brother and sister pair, I really felt compelled to interject in this conversation as I felt several replies were a tad off bass. First I would like to say they are not only considered herding dogs they are considered working dogs. Working dogs don't really care what the work is as long as they feel they are contributing. My dogs over the years have all contributed by carrying a multitude of items on adventures and I have not had one not bound to my side with joy at the site of harnesses or packs coming out. My current two 26lbs and 18lbs contribute by Bella 26lbs carrying two camera lenses her agility keeping my expensive gear safe and Zeb 18lbs carries a small water bottle incase we don't come to a river or stream and a collapsable bowl and some jerky snacks. They are overjoyed to help out because this means an adventure is underway new sites-smells-animals all the joys of life and all of stimulate the mind keeping my dogs in great health with plenty of excersize and they get to to contribute (working dog) win win win. Mine both carry less than 10% of their weight on excursions so far as long as 5-6 mile day hikes. I cannot suggest a brand but what I would advise is a light weight vest with a Molle system where you have greater control of the weight that your buddy is carrying via small bags or pouch and are far less weighty than packs. Remember to take breaks and take them off for some rest and shade because they are not pack mules but are extremely happy to help out because they are your friends and love the fact that you take the time to do things with them. In the end your dog is not limited to his mind he is only limited by yours.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018 at 2:23 PM