Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Dog hair!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Piper's mom, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Has anyone ever had problems with dog hair in the kitchen drain? My kitchen sink plugged yesterday (really bad) and I had to get Roto Rooter out today. When he cleared it it was full of hair!
    I know the dog hair goes everywhere and it's on the counter, dishcloth, dishes lol etc and I'm quite often pulling it out of the drain plug. Had no idea so much of it would end up down the drain!
    I've never bathed them in the sink (ewww) nor do I wash my hair there.

I'm definitely going to be way more careful from now on...260$ to clear it!

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Never ever had that problem. But, I never brush my dogs near the kitchen!

3. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I don't either :ROFLMAO:...but the dog hair is everywhere! Lol

Katie’s Mom and GlennR like this.
  4. GlennR

GlennR Forums Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I am grooming Willow twice a day in a vain effort to stem the tide. The standard poodles didn't really shed at all so it's been since my first dog, a german shepherd that I have experienced that fine undercoat ending up everywhere. When it's warmer I'll groom her outside. For a little dog, she has an endless amount of undercoat.

Katie’s Mom and Piper's mom like this.
  5. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Down the sink? Not that I know of. Totally clog the vacuum cleaner? Yep. I am currently in search of a vacuum that the brush doesn't get totally full of hair and require 20 minutes of cutting it out! Till I do, its swiffers every other day.
    Theres a product called Liquid Fire that should keep the plumber away...

6. GlennR

GlennR Forums Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I have a robotic vacuum, a Roomba, for pets. It has rubber beater bars in the place that other models have bristle brushes. Hair doesn't wrap around the bars like it does on regular rotating brushes. The previous Roomba I had, had those bristle brushes and it took nearly as long to clean the unit after using as it did to clean the floors.

I have to run it often though as the bin can fill up more than once in doing a whole floor clean if I let it go for more than a couple of days without running it. It can be programmed to run whenever you like, perhaps you'd like it to run in the middle of the night if your dogs don't like it. Willow is used to it going while she's awake and in the room.

Katie’s Mom and Calliesmom like this.
  7. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    With my three dogs I'm afraid the roomba would fill up too fast. I honestly sweep daily but it's just in the air and with Piper and Finnie playing everywhere and all the time their fur is always flying! I guess I just never realized how much goes down the drain!

Katie’s Mom and Calliesmom like this.
  8. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Liquid Fire? Never heard of it but I did try Drano Max which guarantees that it'll work or your money back and it didn't work lol.
    I hear you about the vacuum...I'm always cleaning off the beater bar! I like swiffers for the fur but it doesn't pick up dirt and it's definitely that time of year!
    Maybe something like a carpet sweeper...maybe someone should invent something lol.

Calliesmom likes this.
  9. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Amen to that! We got a roomba years ago as a Christmas present. We named him Issac. I loved Issac. But he did need to be cleaned just like the Shark! So when he had to be put down due his spinning in one place, I never replaced him. And if it takes me 15 min to cut out the hair, and only 10 min or less to swiffer, thats a no brainer LOL. I've been keeping my eye on the prices of the pet version. They are still very high IMHO.

Katie’s Mom and Piper's mom like this.
  10. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Piper's mom likes this.