Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Dog Wheelchair

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Cindy, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

So I ordered one from Chewy.. Should be here Wednesday
    https://www.chewy.com/handicappedpets-medium-dog-wheelchair/dp/150141

Gavin sized to the 14-15" one (pictured with the brindle puppy). I am taking him down the coast for a few days this week while I am in between jobs to play at a few beaches and camp on the coast in big sur, but I will post pictures when we get it assembled.

I am really just hoping that by taking some of the weight off his rear leg when walking, that he can enjoy longer walks without getting so exhausted (he used to be good for 3-4 miles if it wasn't too hot even after his cancer treatment). Right now, he will start breathing heavily after about 20-30 minutes, and his gait shifts where his front ends drops down as he walks. No matter how well I try to plan his walks, there is always at least a bit like that and sometimes more. A few weekends ago I even had to carry him back to the car he was so wiped out (totally surprised me as I didn't think we had gone that far, but it was mid-day and warmer than Gavin likes for his walks)

2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    That looks like it will do the trick, and I really strongly hope it does, Cindy. Please let us know how it works out. I feel so strongly about keeping them doing the things they love to do, with help as necessary. We've carried a dog back from a walk when necessary in the past. Hope Gavin takes to it easily.

ghggp likes this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    That is very cool! I am constantly amazed at the things you can get on Chewy. I hope it works for Gavin and he can enjoy your trips with it!

ghggp likes this.
  4. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

This past year has been a tough one for me. Gavin has been a trooper, but watching him limping about has stressed me to no end. I have spent so much time trying so many things with no results, and most people have no clue how difficult this is. He is a happy guy, and I just want him to be able to do what he likes without struggling so much. The stroller has been a great help getting him to my local park so he can enjoy the trees, squirrels (LOTS of very inquisitive squirrels), leaves, and paths and he really does perk up walking around there as opposed to around the block nearer home. Maybe with the wheelchair he can walk to the park as well.

ghggp and Sharon7 like this.
  5. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    My sister has this wheelchair for her pug. She LOVES it. It is so cute watching Mia run around again, with a big smile on her face. I hope you have luck with it as well.

ghggp likes this.
  6. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

So it showed up in a big box. very easy to assemble. still in the adjustment stage, like how to lower the 'saddle' that sits below his tummy so he puts the proper amount of weight on his legs. We walked to the mailbox and back. He didn't have any issues per se. Instructions say to start slow so that is it for now.

Attached Files:

Sharon7, ghggp, Hanne and 1 other person like this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Outstanding Cindy! I know how hard it is on both of you! We will do anything to keep our pups happy and positively stimulated for their physical and mental health! I am also stunned that Chewy carries these! Years ago they were not that easy to find and needed to be custom built.

I bet Gavin will take to it right away! Having a stroller and now this wheelchair chair at your disposal will make life a bit easier.

I know how stressed I got when Mr Chance had issues walking long distances. The stroller allowed us to take mile long walks together and I so cherish those times! Wish I had a chance to try this wheelchair before he passed.

Good for you to try everything in your power to make Gavin’s life full and comfortable! You are the best Sheltie mom! BTW, I love his coloring. He looks like a mahogany sable!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I'm really impressed! Gavin looks unflustered -- and who knew Chewy had wheelchairs. I can't wait to see Gavin on the move! :pop

9. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

the hardest part is getting the height adjustment just right since Gavin can still use his rear legs. Walkin wheels is the brand, decent adjustable carts. They aren't cheap, a little less than custom made ones, but they can be re-sold or donated much more easily. They even have a special corgi model since they are a differently proportioned breed with back and hind leg issues. Since Gavin isn't a spring chicken I figured a quick purchase was better (and there is a 30 day return option). We are going for a short trip to pismo beach and big sur (camping) this week. I have a foldable cart from costco I will use to transport Gavin along the beaches. Once we get back we will start working on the cart again. I will try and get a video :)

ghggp and Sharon7 like this.
  10. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

OK..so we just got back from big Sur where Gavin got to camp, get carted around, and carried up and down stairs to the beaches. And he is the one who is tired!

Attached Files:

corbinam likes this.