Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Doggie Chiropracter

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Cindy, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

So in our quest to help a limping Gavin, we are going to try a canine chiropractor..
    anyone with experience with one?

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    We take our guys on a set schedule. A lot of agility people swear by them, and I take my dogs once a month. When Lexi had her knee issues we took her once a week and tapered off slowly from there.

3. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

Did you notice visible improvement after a visit?

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    My dogs see one regularly. She's a miracle worker. She can put her hands on a dog and tell you what the problem is without an xray. My seniors go for adjustments just to keep them comfortable and the show dogs get adjusted as they need it. She also does acupuncture which we had done for Pixie to help with her seizures before she passed. That can be really helpful as a supplement to the chiro for pain in some cases.

Hanne likes this.
  5. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Sca went and loved it. Be careful that you get a certified one rather than a ..... Sca's chiropractor was a full DVM with a cert in chiropracting.

Ann likes this.
  6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    We have a fantastic canine/equine chiropractor. Dr. Kelly kept Annie Laurie going for the last year of her life. Now we're taking Bitsy Boodle, and what a difference! She's much more mobile -- chasing the ball again!!

Best for us -- our doc is just around the corner (that's country talk for five miles :lol:).

7. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

She is a full DVM... works mostly with horses from what I can tell, only at Gavin's vet working with clients a few hours a week.
    I am not expecting a miracle, but it would be nice if she could help a bit.

8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I personally never used one. However, a friend of mine has used them on her Dalmatian and swears by it.

I used a doggie massage therapist for Mr. Chance as he had bone spurs and it really helped him to gain more mobility and not be so stiff! Worth every penny I spent!
    I did it every two weeks.

9. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    We started Bailey on chiro as a puppy and added massage when he was in his late senior years. Katy started chiro when we got her and added massage when Bailey did. Annie began chiro and massage when we got her. They go once monthly for each separate providers. Honestly, as long as its available and affordable we plan to continue the monthly visits. I am huge fan of natural treatments and preventatives.

Chiro helps keep the spine aligned and as my human chiro explains it helps keep the power flowing. I will say as Bailey hit his senior years and started having some leg issues chiro wasn't enough and it was suggested we try massage. I only wish we'd tried it sooner. As I mentioned above both of our current Shelties now get both monthly. It seems to be keeping Katy more active as she moves into her senior years than Bailey, but its hard to compare dogs. There are thousands of reasons why one dog is better than another. However, I don't think the combo of chiro/massage has hurt.

10. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    I can't speak for doggie chiros. Though it seems they are much more honest and forthcoming that human chiropractors. The only human chiropractors I've ever worked with have been dishonest thieves and I would never in a million years let one of them touch my dogs. But that's just been my experience. I know a lot of people who swear by them for their dogs.