Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Donovan's heart...

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Henrie Lee, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Henrie Lee

Henrie Lee Forums Novice

Feb 28, 2020
    New England
    I don't know if I've ever posted before. If I have, it's been a long time. My sweet boy Donovan is turning 11 this Friday. A week ago I noticed his breathing and heart rate seemed abnormal when he crawled under the blankets and snuggled up to me. My friend (a shelter vet) that we're staying with checked his heart and said he has a heart murmur.

I made an appointment with his vet for the very next day. It was so hard not being able to go into the vet's office with him because of covid precautions. They took x-rays and ran bloodwork. His bloodwork was normal, but his heart is enlarged. So far there is no sign of fluid in his lungs. He's still running around, playing, and happily eating his food. They suggested an echocardiogram, but we can't get him in until a month from now. I'm so worried about him...

Donovan was my first soulmate, my first heart dog. I've had him since I was 18 years old. I brought him home as a tiny puppy a little less than a year after my mom passed away. He helped me so much with the process of grieving the loss of my mother. He has been there for me through so much in my life now. I wouldn't have made it this far without him and his sister-friend, Reese. Words cannot describe how much I love them, and how much they mean to me. But I know that so many of you understand.

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

KarenCurtis, Sandy in CT, Ann and 3 others like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Dear Henrie,
    I am so sorry your sweet soulmate Donovan is not feeling well. Understandable that you should be concerned! We all are lamenting our inability to go into the vets office with our little ones. Especially those that are ill and not just getting normal routine exams or shots.
    We will most certainly keep you in our thoughts and prayers! Virtual hugs to yo both!
    Our little rescue Jasmine had an enlarged heart and she was put on meds that helped. Hopefully this will be the care for Donovan.
    I completely understand him being your heart/soul dog. Even though we might have had other dogs during our lifetime, one dog that is extra sensitive to us or helped us through very difficult times stands out as the support and love we needed the most! For that we are truly blessed! Keep us posted! :hugs

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  3. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Gloria says it all so beautifully. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your beloved Donovan. I have had Shelties in the past dx'd with enlarged hearts in their senior years and with medication and monitoring of exercise they have had good quality of life for a long time post dx. Our Rascal had a happy 3 years post dx...and I pray this will be the same for your Donovan.

Trini

4. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Heart meds have come so far! Our cat Louis has the same condition, and he's doing great! Praying for the same for Donovan.

5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Yes, heart medications can help. Murmurs are graded on a scale, so your vet should be able to give you a better idea where Donovan is in his illness. I hope you have much more good quality time with your beloved boy. Please reach out if you need support from fellow Sheltie lovers, we've all been there. It is so heart-wrenching when they have health issues.

6. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Henrie I will do :hugs

7. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Prayers go to Donovan and to you as well!

I have an aging doxie - 12 - it is sooooo very hard. My thoughts are with you! I hope you are able to get answers and some help. So many here have so many experiences to share; I hope you get some help from SN folks as well.

8. Henrie Lee

Henrie Lee Forums Novice

Feb 28, 2020
    New England
    Thank you everyone for your kindness. It means so much to me. I'm glad to hear that there is hope for him to live a happy life for at least a little while longer. I'm anxious for him to get on the right medication(s) to slow the progression of heart disease. My vet friend said his heart murmur sounds like it's at a 3. His regular vet didn't specify, but I admittedly forgot to ask because I've been in shock. I forgot to mention in my original post that his x-rays were looked at by the vet, but they also sent them out to a radiologist for a more thorough look. We haven't heard back from them yet. They said we should be hearing from them tomorrow, so I'm hoping for the best.

9. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Every day with our senior babies is a blessing. Gavin's illnesses and problems have made me focus more on helping him life his best life. I don't know how much longer he will be with me, but he will be as happy as I can make him. A dog stoller and even a wheelchair have helped him make it this far.

I hope you and Donavan have many more years. Any sheltie that snuggles under the covers with you knows how much you love him!

10. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Henrie Lee likes this.