Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

dosn't want walk to end

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Sheltiesr2cute, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Sheltiesr2cute

Sheltiesr2cute Forums Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    Ontario Canada
    I am hoping some one can help me with this. Bristol my 4 year old male loves to play in the woods, but as we near our house he just takes off and will not come back for about 10 minutes or so. Some times he shows up just out of reach but takes off again into the woods. normally he listens very well, and this is something he just recently started to do. During our outing he is fine and comes immediately. Its just at the end. I have tried treats etc but to no avail. I haven't punished him as I believe that will make matters worse. Any ideas?

Becky Mom of Bristol, Charlotte, Phoenix, and Sparkie

2. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    Use a leash - seriously of he's not coming when called he shouldn't be off leash.

3. dawns2shelties

dawns2shelties Forums Sage

I agree I would leash him, I see too many missing Shelties on here and fb everyday. It's heartbreaking.

Also retrain him on recall.

4. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Leash him please. Like Dawn said, we see too many missing ones. It is heartbreaking to think of them lost.

5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    A few on-leash days may help. Then you can begin leashing him further from the house, with a high-value reward/treat. Keep leashing closer and closer to home -- with perseverance, he should relearn.

6. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Please please put him on a leash.:( I've taken my dogs on off-leash walks many times and I can understand how enjoyable it is. But your not accomplishing anything by doing this. Until you can FULLY trust your dog off-leash you are endangering him by letting him run loose. I think if you DO insist on walking off leash (which, for now, I don't recommend) you should try the method Chris described. I'd hate to hear that he took off one day and that 10 minutes went by and he's still gone. When I was 13 I could run a mile in 6 minutes, a dog is faster than a human child, how far do you thing he can go in 10?

7. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    Merlin once or twice stood just out of reach when I wanted to put him on lead as an adolescent, but never run off. Yes, I would long line him until he understands he can't do this.

8. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Use a 20 foot lead or a 30 foot lunge line. Don't risk it. This is from someone who just adoped a little one found wandering by Animal Control and who was placed in the execution queue for being too timid and/or bark to adopt (thank heavens for the no kill seeing her potential and pulling her). Don't risk it.

9. Laddie's Mom

Laddie's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2013
    N/A
    I am in agreement with everyone else. Please, put him on a leash, he might, one day, run away and get hit by a car, that would be my fear. I know a lot of folks think that the leash is mean, especially in forests, etc, but, it isn't, it is love, it protects them.

10. Sheltiesr2cute

Sheltiesr2cute Forums Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    Ontario Canada
    clarification

Thank you for your answers, but I should have mentioned that this is in a fenced off area where the dogs cannot get out. I would never let him off leash otherwise as he has very strong herding instincts and chases every thing (or at least tries to) but the problem is what reward is stronger to him than treeing a squirrel.

Becky Mom of Bristol, Charlotte, Phoenix, Sparkie