Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Dreaded Hip Dysplasia

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Mom2Melli, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Dec. has been quite a month for us. Melli got her overhaul (dental including a couple loose front teeth removed, removal of a large benign follicular cyst) and has recovered well. We found a stitch the vet overlooked and our hero, Daddy, was able to remove it using his miraculous skills as a plane/train model builder.

Cubby is doing perfectly.

Then . . . there's the shepherd. First off, he had to change food. I think I will post that in another thread because it is rather surprising what I learned. Then, at almost 5 years old, I took him for his first dental. They cleaned up just lovely. However, my feral shepherd pup neutered by the shelter at 3 months has been having some limping on his rear right and so I did x-rays. He has mild-to-moderate hip dysplasia. There is bone resurfacing a bit but not into spurs and such. The hips do ride in the sockets but there is a bit of a gap.

SO . . . he is on Dasaquin with MSM (I put all 3 dogs on it), we are using more baby gates to prevent dashing up and down the stairs, and we are working (with Daddy) to stop the "jump up and say HI thing".

Anyone have any other good maintenance tips? Shay thanks you.

2. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Baker and I are sorry to hear this. But...if this had to happen to anyone's dog...Shay is lucky to have you on his side.

3. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
  4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Sorry to hear about the diagnosis. It sounds like he doesn't have arthritis though, which is positive.

I know quite a few people with large dogs with hip dysplasia who's dogs are 10, 11, 12 and still aren't showing signs of arthritis. They all keep their dogs lean. And like Rachael said, it really is the most critically important thing you can do for a dysplastic dog. Any extra weight will change the gait and can cause more stress on the movement of the joint.

You can also see a physiotherapist if you want exercises to strengthen the area.

5. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Thank you. Shay is doing better. None of the flat out hopping, but he does stretch a lot after getting up and will slightly favor and then recover with a bit of motion.

He was pretty lean. Now he is noticeably leaner. I will be lowering him gram by gram until we get the ribs. I switched from Acana to Fromm and am having to do some fine tuning on his amount since they are pretty different in calories.