Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Dry and flaky skin...

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by ghggp, Apr 9, 2018.

1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I brushed all the boys out yesterday and when I got to Logan I was shocked at how dry and flaky his skin was. He is on Krill Oil daily and we have increased his Thyroid meds. I have also been giving him pumpkin homemade biscuits with oatmeal and coconut flour. He LOVES it!

I am going to have them professionally groomed soon and maybe I should tell the groomer to use a special shampoo? Logan is 13 now. He sleeps a lot but is sassy when awake!

I had a thread last year on this called Should I be Concerned? But, never really thought with Steroids on board, increase in Thyroid meds, and adding Krill Oil I would still be seeing dry flaky skin...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks a bunch for the informational post! Many of the points made I had not considered! He is going to be groomed in the beginning of May. I will see what my groomer thinks and he needs a blood draw to check his Thyroid again since we upped his dosages. Otherwise he is a happy and healthy 13 year old!

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Your welcome Gloria! Dr.Becker always an informative read. I also find that a lot of brushes can scratch the skin and cause 'flakiness'. I now use a Chris Christensen pin brush and it doesn't scratch the skin at all (I've tried it on my skin...it really doesn't scratch at all)...just something else to consider.