Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Dry skin

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Karen Payne, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Karen Payne

Karen Payne Forums Novice

Nov 23, 2019
    Hi everyone! My 5 year old Sheltie seems to be getting patches of dry skin. We thought it was because the soap didn’t get washed out on last grooming but that was 2 months ago. It appears to have started about a month ago. Skin just appears very dry in patches and the dry skin comes off like white scabs. We put some Animax ointment on and it seems to help. Skin does not appear to be irritated maybe alittle pink. It is not all over. And thoughts, suggestions? We normally give her allergy meds daily and have not recently. Thanks Karen

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Hi Karen,
    Welcome to Sheltie Nation. SO sorry to hear your 5-year-old sheltie has skin issues. Have you visited a vet recently? Thyroid issues can cause skin problems. I would have her Thyroid tested as it can start to show issues at that age. What type of food are you feeding? Sometimes food allergies can cause issues too.

3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Yes, to bloodwork! And if that all come back clears, look for a good supplement that helps fur and skin. I have both of mine on Nature's Farmacy Complete which is a combo of three of their most popular products and addresses digestion, skin, fur, bones, joints.