Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Ear Flop

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by DianeP, Jun 9, 2021.

1. DianeP

DianeP Premium Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    When we brought Mindy home, her ears were glued. We kept them glued for about 3 months but stopped gluing because she hated it. So, cute prick ears became her trademark. Fast forward two years and the left one is starting to flop. Sometimes they both tip. Anybody else have this happen?
    upload_2021-6-9_20-20-58.jpeg

Darren, Calliesmom, RikyR and 3 others like this.
  2. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    A vet pulled the glue out of Willow's ears on our very first visit as she didn't know about Shelties. We weren't too happy about that and it turned out that we were really awful at doing it ourselves so we just let Willow go and it turned out she was naturally tipped anyway. I don't think I care if her ears are tipped, not tipped, or one of each. Willow is so expressive with her ears that it really doesn't matter.

Darren, DianeP, RikyR and 2 others like this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Such a cute girl. Nope I haven't heard of this happening this late! How funny. Usually the upright ears are a lot thicker than ears that tip naturally.

Darren, DianeP and trini like this.
  4. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I thought it usually went the other way--tipped ears creeping up over time. Koko has one that's almost prick now.
    I've had both prick and tipped ear dogs. Loved them all. LOL
    But I do prefer the look of tipped.

Darren, Sharon7, DianeP and 1 other person like this.
  5. pomshe

pomshe Forums Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    No, both of mine have prick ears that are always up. She sure is a cutie pie though! Love her expression!

Darren, DianeP and trini like this.
  6. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Years ago our sable boy, Rory, started out with perfectly tipped ears for his first year that then went prick and finally at about 2 years old one ear flopped and stayed flopped for the rest of his life. I honestly don't worry much about ears since none of mine have ever been show dogs. My Laddie's ear are both flopped but he couldn't care less so I figure all is happy.

Mindy is beautiful...whether ears are prick or flopped. :)
    Trini

Darren, DianeP and Margi like this.
  7. DianeP

DianeP Premium Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Fortunately, we don’t care which way her ears go. We are having fun, though, asking Mindy, “what happened to your ear?”

Darren, Sharon7 and trini like this.