Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Early morning freedom at the beach

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Darren, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Darren

Darren Forums Enthusiast

Nov 1, 2019
    One of the side effects of Montys lung injury is he can't bolt away anymore as he has to lay down after a few feet for a rest. It has meant that I can now let him loose when we go on walks since he can't run away and he is really enjoying the freedom. I've been taking him to the beach and he has loved being able to explore on his own.

Monty231.jpg
    Monty232.jpg
    Monty236.jpg
    Monty235.jpg
    Monty233.jpg
    When I find a tiny dry rock to stand on...he just has to try and share

Monty234.jpg
    Time to go home

Monty230.jpg

corbinam, Hanne, Diana Mccly and 8 others like this.
  2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    beautiful beach pix:yes:
    Monty looks like he's having a good time running free:smile2:

3. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Interesting spot and nice pictures. I'm sure Willow would enjoy exploring a place like that.

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Love the photos, Darren. It warms my heart to see Monty enjoying himself and looking so heathy! He looks like such a sweet little guy. I'm sure that's his superpower for when he's morphing into Monty the Mischievous!

5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    What beautiful pics Darren - oh my - you have SO many cool places to explore!

I would LOVE to be able to have Brodie off leash at the beach! We took him to see our son last year who is on the Jersey shore. Brodie LOVED the beach and seagulls and sand. I am far too afraid to ever have him off leash though. I carry long tie outs and clip them to my belt loops so he can run a ways, but not away.... We practice our recall constantly, but if spooked not sure he would respond and I am afraid of losing my boy.

Hanne, Piper's mom, RikyR and 4 others like this.
  6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Super nice photos. It really is nice when they can be off leash and move at their own whims. We are just starting to allow Meadow off leash at certain safe places. Her recall is pretty darn good and she doesn't seem easily spooked or likely to take off. Not that we take our eyes off her, mind!

So funny Monty had to share your dry rock with you. :)

7. Darren

Darren Forums Enthusiast

Nov 1, 2019
    He is not too bad outside Ann (although he does have selective hearing haha). It's when he gets home he instantly changes....I don't know if it's the confidence he gets from being at home or whether he feels more comfortable with Mr B in his mouth lol....buuuttt after getting into trouble he just gives me that sweet little look and all is forgiven haha.

I know how you feel Sandy, I could never risk letting Monty loose at the beach before his lung injury. Any loud bang or something surprising and he would bolt so I just couldn't take the risk as there would be no catching him. Now he can't get away as he can only sprint a short distance and then falls over to catch his breath. It's sad to see but it means if he did try to run away I can easily catch him. This means he's getting off his lead everywhere and he's loving it, I also think he knows he can't run away as he's not even trying it, he just comes to me now if he gets startled by something.
    I love that you have the tie outs and loops to give him a lot of freedom, great thinking and I bet he loves it still!!

He had been climbing in the water and seaweed yet still had to come and share my rock while he recharged haha.
    Great to hear Meadow has good recall, it's much more reassuring letting them loose when you have that. Harley used to stop what he was doing and come to me from anywhere if I just said his name. Monty will recall if he is doing nothing...If he is intrested in something or going to do something then he totally ignores me :rolleyes2:. Before he got ill if I then tried to get him he would then run to where he was going so I couldn't catch him :lol:. Now he can't get away I have the confidence to let him loose everywhere and he is really enjoying himself :yes:

8. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Rommel, Callahan, Mackie and Koko would never run off. I could take them anywhere off lead.
    Fillion and Benson can't be trusted, both took off to chase coyotes. Benson will now bolt for home if scared--found that out the hard way after dropping his leash once. Fillion would come back if he survived his adventure, but that's not something I'm willing to risk.

Poor little Monty can't run--I pray that gets better over time! In the meantime I'm glad he can just mosey along, enjoying the visit.

9. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Spitfire is still on double leash probation since the swamp episode. Trusting him is a fools game.

10. Elei

Elei Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2019
    Beautiful pictures! Monty looks like he has a ton of coat