Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

'Early' Neutering

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sandy in CT, Sep 11, 2019 at 4:24 PM.

1. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Despite all intentions to wait until a year, Brodie was neutered on the 29th when his marking would not stop and we could no longer trust him outside the crate in the house. Marking started feverishly, suddenly along with jumping and biting my shins. Stopped even quicker, the day I brought him home he went to lift his leg - nah, that doesn't feel too good and he returned to squatting. The pee a little here, a little there, a little everywhere, all the time stopped as well and my 'I can hold my bladder for hours on end' pupper returned as did complete draining of the tank. He was getting to be a handful on walks around the neighborhood, barking, lifting his ruff at the world and already, just two weeks in, I see changes as the testosterone levels drop. His nipping has decreased except when he's not allowed to burn off energy.

Because he was 'older' at 9 1/2 months, they wanted quiet and e-collar for 14 days. Off to The Big E on Friday so he gets stitches removed on Saturday as I did not want to leave him alone the day after stitches were removed.

I bought him an e-collar off Amazon, covered in fuzzy velvety material and we've left it on 100% of the time, except for class these past 2 days. His focus is on other things, not his junk, so no concerns there. Keeping him quiet has been a 100% pain in the neck and hubby said he would never wait 'this long' to neuter the 'next one' - yup he said next one!!! :) :) :) We've always neutered old style at 5 - 6 months and it is so much easier when younger. This has been a challenge and Brodie has been miserable. Last Monday, 4 days post-op, we got the okay to walk around our neighborhood circle 1 time - it is 1/3 of a mile. Rest, check for redness, swelling and if okay, a second walk later in the afternoon. We weren't supposed to play fetch with him but he's begging and begging and begging so Saturday I played a bit of fetch with a stick and then Sunday when all was good and no issues, hubby played fetch with his frisbee but not allowing him to go long and nothing over his shoulders. We also kept the 2 dogs separate until Sunday. Once Brodie got a bit of energy worn off, we allowed him time with Kooper. Without exercise and activity, Brodie is wired and can now jump straight up in the air almost to my shoulders so a bit of fetch to keep all 4 on the ground is a better option, in my opinion.

We went to our first classes last night and this noon in Rally-O and agility and I had the collar off. He was so excited to be doing stuff and watching other pups that he was fine.

I think he will miss his fuzzy pillow when it's finally removed. He ate through all the plastic buckles but I used key rings and caribiner clips to keep it on him. He does seem to enjoy sleeping on it at night.

KarenCurtis, ghggp, Ann and 1 other person like this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I totally understand why you had to do it...especially with the marking in the house! Last thing you want is for it to become a learned behaviour (my sister had a dog that continued after neutering and he'd peed on her couch numerous times. It made a huge difference with Finnie as well.

3. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    We had Oberon neutered at six months for pretty much the same reason. He didn't mark in the house -- just everywhere else. So while for some dogs it might make sense to wait a year or more (or a lifetime!) it's an individual decision and it sounds like you made the best one for your circumstances -- kudos to you!

4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Hugs to Brodie. Glad it solved the problem, so hard to keep them calm to recover. As far as they're concerned, a little soreness but nothing's different so why can't I play play play.

Piper's mom, ghggp and Calliesmom like this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Glad you made the decision you did! A learned behavior like that is hard to break! Going slow with any exercising is great. I really had no idea what I will be in for when Liam goes.

Hummmm... the next one? How exciting!

Liam is 15 months now. He has marked about four times in the house months ago but no issues since the corrections. He hates to be scolded and takes it to heart. He is quite sensitive that way. No humping either so we will wait for the 18 months. Fingers crossed.

6. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Sandstorm lifts his leg and marks all the time, lol. Outside, not inside. He was neutered at 6 months because he fell in love with the neighbors dog.

7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Deska was the king of outdoor marking. He'd often have a little trail of his acolytes following him around marking in the same spots - then he'd have to go back and mark over all their pee! We used to call it the pee train and Deska was the driver. He was neutered at 12mths but actually was a cryptochord, his testes weren't even close to dropping. He saved it all his pee up for his walks.

Piper's mom and Hanne like this.
  8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Beckon isn't neutered. The only time he ever marked in the house was when we brought in a live Christmas tree. "FOR ME?????" :lol: