Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Ears Glued? Opinions

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Diana Mccly, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Diana Mccly

Diana Mccly Forums Regular

Jul 12, 2020
    Virginia USA
    Hey all! We are picking up our new puppy Friday! His name is Kester. The breeder just asked if I wanted his ears glued? She says it’s just superficial (she uses hair weave glue) and it’s standard for show shelties. Are the any benefits to it? Did you do it with your puppy? Why/why not?

Link to puppy pictures! Isn’t he adorable???

Piper's mom, ghggp and KarenCurtis like this.
  2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    he is super cute:yes:
    glueing the ears helps to make sure the ears tip as adults-you will need to continue with his ears until teething is complete.
    my puppy after the breeder glued his ears before I brought him home
    a few weeks ago - all grown up

3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    I just went though this with Meadow. She is now 6.5 months old. I did glue her ears until 6 months of age, and they are staying tipped. I just think it looks nicer, and it is the breed standard. My first two Shelties had naturally tipped ears. My two present adult Shelties have ears that stand straight up, which is why I was able to adopt them from the breeders (they can't be shown that way).

It wasn't hard; I used TearMender glue and it took just a couple of minutes. Helps if you have someone to hold the wiggly puppy. Just glue hair to hair. The breeder can show you.

Piper's mom, Diana Mccly, Ann and 2 others like this.
  4. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    It was a pain in the arse gluing the ears, I won't lie...BUT I'm so glad I stuck with it. I love Fillion's tipped ears. If the breeder will do it when you are there and show you how in person it will be sooo much easier if you aren't an old hand at it. Most of the problem was I didn't know what I was doing!

5. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    CONGRATULATIONS!! I have a 16 month old Minnie, and 11 year old Sandstorm. Minnie's breeder glued her ears, and we kept up with it, as I like the tipped ear look better. The breeder showed us how, and it was pretty easy, I really got the hang of it. We kept them glued for 8 months, they just tip nicely now. Sandstorm's ears weren't glued, we didn't care back then. He has small ears so he looks good. It's just a preference I think.

6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Cranberry was a cute puppy but he's a gorgeous adult!

Sharon7, Calliesmom and ghggp like this.
  7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    With my 7mth old I went the glycerin mixed with talc route (thanks Ann) to give a slight weight, it was so much easier. Kismet's may have stayed down naturally but when she was teething one kept popping up.
    Kismet-head-1.jpg

It isn't standard to glue ears in Australia, but rather weight them, as the ears don't need to be so high set on the head. I used blue tac with Deska - but his ears probably didn't need anything anyway. Tully I tried chewing gum - that was a disaster as Deska tried to eat it. The breeder also used a sump oil mix on Tully but I couldn't manage it. So Tully's ears only have a very slight tip. Benny I did nothing with and his ears looked like a Kelpie.

Attached Files:

8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Congrats on your new puppy!
    Such a cutie! Make sure you take LOTS of pictures as they grow so darn fast!

Ear gluing or taping is a pain but the payoff is worth it!

Try to get a small puppy playpen as it better than keeping them in a crate!
    Liam was great with being left in it being watched by Baron and Beau!

F31CAF54-A385-49E0-95FC-1687697FC210.jpeg

9. Diana Mccly

Jul 12, 2020
    Virginia USA
    I have been reading through all your back posts ☺️ They are such lovely dogs. I think since there doesn’t seem to be any reason other then esthetics to glue them we’re going to leave them natural. We have a preschooler and while he is really good with animals I wouldn’t want him to try and pry the glue off or anything.

Sandy in CT, Piper's mom and Caro like this.
  10. Diana Mccly

Jul 12, 2020
    Virginia USA
    Yes! I think it may have been you, but someone mentioned Ian Stone’s you tube channel simpawtico dog training. I’ve been binge watching those on repeat (and I have a friend who is a trainer that is going to give me lessons). But the puppy pen idea is brilliant. I was going to even try the puppy potty (a litter box with gravel) if we need to leave him alone. Thankfully I have a toddler pen from when my son was a toddler so we’re going to see if that works (fingers crossed).

Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.