Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

eating and obedience

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by siding, Sep 2, 2018.

1. siding

siding Forums Novice

Sep 2, 2018
    Hi everyone, I got my puppy 7 days ago and he was 8 weeks. we are giving them his starter food and puppy food mixture. He seems not liking food very much, he will eat the food when i holding the bowl or put the food on my hand but he loses interest after fining 1/8 cups of food, I also tried chicken breast and 3 kinds of treats, not big fan of them either. the puppy food bag says we are suppose to feed him 1 cup a day at his weight(6lbs),but he is only having 1/2cup a day. hope there is anyone can help me. since he is not interested in food, it's hard to start the training, even when i call his name, he sometimes would come over(but sit down when he is about 1 foot to me), 2/3 of the time he just ignore me.

2. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Has he been to the vet yet to be checked out for things like worms or other parasites? Is his stool normal looking?

3. siding

siding Forums Novice

Sep 2, 2018
    He had his vet check just right before we picked him up and stool looks good to me

4. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    So it will sort of depend on the quality of the food you're feeding - but a cup of food a day for a 6 pound dog sounds like WAAAAAAY too much! The feeding recommendations on most dog food labels are often double what is actually needed. Also, make sure you are feeding him at least twice a day, preferably 3 times per day at this age.

5. siding

siding Forums Novice

Sep 2, 2018
    We are giving him orijen puppy food mix with royal cannin, you got any idea about my second part of the question?

6. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I agree with Cara, 1 C/day of food is too much for a 6lb puppy. (For perspective, my 17lb Cocker is fighting fit on 1 cup of kibble per day, and my mother's adult Shelties average 15 pounds and thrive on 3/4 cup per day.) Given that you've ruled out a medical cause, I'm going to posit that he's not interested in eating all the food because he's had enough to eat. A healthy dog, provided with food, will not starve.

Dog food companies make money by selling dog food; the more you feed your dog, the sooner you need to buy another bag. The guidelines on the package are, as a rule, way more than a dog actually needs to eat.

Here is what you do:
    1. At mealtime, measure 1/4C into his bowl.
    2. Put the puppy and the bowl in a crate.
    3. After 15 minutes, let the puppy out and pick up the bowl. If he hasn't eaten all the food, oh well! Do not hand-feed him, offer him treats, boil him a chicken breast, or beg him to eat. A healthy dog, provided with food, will not starve.
    4. Go about the rest of your day with your puppy.

Repeat at subsequent mealtimes (ideally, three meals per day until he's about four months old, then he can go to twice daily - divide so he's getting about 1/2C total per day). He will learn that if he doesn't eat in a timely manner, the food goes away, and that you will provide him with regular opportunities to eat. It's a-OK for him to be a little hungry. I can't say this enough: A healthy dog, provided with food, will not starve.

Now, if a week goes by and he feels thin (a healthy dog's sides should feel like the back of your hand: you should feel the ribs under a SLIGHT padding of tissue), try adding a little more food, or talk to your breeder or vet for ideas to get more weight on him. Adjust as necessary.

If you would like to use food to train him (a great idea!), you need to start with a hungry puppy. Rather than feeding him meals out of his bowl, then being frustrated that he isn't interested in earning more food from you, let him earn some of his kibbles in training. Just reduce the food in his bowl accordingly.

Go slowly with training, make it super-happy and fun, and keep your expectations low at this point - he's a baby! Of course he's "ignoring" you at this point; there are so many other interesting things to check out. The onus is on you at this point to demonstrate to him that you are the most fun, interesting thing in his world.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  7. siding

siding Forums Novice

Sep 2, 2018
    thanks, this helps

8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Congratulations on your puppy...such fun times ahead! I guarantee that as he becomes more at ease with you his appetite will increase. My boy is now 7 months old and it took him some time to get accustomed to me and his new surroundings (at least a month...got used to my other dog right away). I also fed my boy 3 meals/day until he was 6 months old, I then cut him down to 2 feedings a day at that point. At 7 months now Finnie follows me everywhere, eats everything and has no fear. Good luck and keep it fun for your pup and he will run to you every time you call him!

ghggp and Hanne like this.
  9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    What are you using for training treats? If he's not interested then the value of your treats isn't high enough.

Also, rewards don't always need to be food. When teaching his name or doing a recall squeaky toys are often better because dogs find it very hard to ignore that squeak. So call his name, squeak a toy and have a play when he comes to you. And remember to keep training very short, just a few minutes at a time so he doesn't lose interest. Puppies have a very short attention span.

ghggp likes this.
  10. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I second Piper's Mom here...we always feed puppies three smaller meals a day (1/4 to 1/3 cup) and then slowly increase the amount as needed. By six months, I put them on twice-daily feedings. Really young puppies can't eat a large amount all at once and do better with more frequent meals. Just keep in mind that also means more trips outside!

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.