Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Eating rabbit droppings

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Pam, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    As anyone here who has read about Beau knows, he has a huge prey thing for rabbits. Well, our yard apparently has a bunch of them. Anyhow, it would seem the dominant male rabbit and Beau have been vying for territory. He will leave his dropping by the fence and Beau will pee on them; then it is repeated.

So now Beau has taken to eating droppings that are along the fence where he does not pee. I try and get him to "leave it" but frankly the droppings are everywhere. I think I just won't let him in my yard anymore :( :(

How dangerous are the droppings or are they harmless?

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Pretty harmless -- salad that's been processed. :lol:

3. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    I would be concerned about him picking up parasites. I don't know much about rabbits or if and what parasites they might carry, but worms are usually spread through consuming an infected animal's feces.

ghggp likes this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Never thought about picking up parasites! Good point!
    My first rescue sheltie would eat rabbit droppings! I eventually found where they got into the yard and put wire mesh around the area and I never had any more issues.

5. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Did you dig down 12 inches with the wire mesh? Everything I have read says you need to put barriers 12 inches deep. I currently have wire fencing, but I guess the holes are big enough for rabbits to get through. And I know now at least one is living or staying under my deck as Beau found it but can't get under there himself.

6. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    Not sure about rabbit poop, I would imagine caution would be the best word. I know birds carries lots of
    diseases. Baby bunnies come out of the ornamental grass, so I am certain they poop in that area. I have
    deer, bunnies, raccoon, birds. I need a Trump Habitat Tax Credit.

7. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    I could use that tax credit too

We have so many critters and believe me Shelby will and does eat anything. It is futile to even try and get her to "leave it". Our vet knows she eats everything so we just keep a close eye on her and we are told at the first signs of any GI issues to bring her in. So far in 8 years and eating tons of animal droppings she has never had an issue.

Bailey's Mom likes this.
  8. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    We rarely see wild rabbits, but hares - they are not in our garden.

Wild rabbits eat most grass and herbs.

I've been told that hare / rabbit is quite harmless for the dog to eat, in fact it is quite fiber-rich, filled with vitamin B and enzymes. But anyway :ick

9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    No, I only went down about 6 inches. Apparently, that was enough to stop them. I have a six foot stockade fence so I guess my yard is more of a deterrent. Other yards are totally open. With only a couple of areas that I had to shore up... maybe they thought it was not worth the effort?

10. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    We have bunnies who party overnight in our dog yard. On a spring morning when I let the dogs out, the sound of crunching those little rabbit marbles could wake up the birds! I tried all sorts of things to discourage the rabbits with no luck. Apparently, bunny pellets are like caviar to dogs. I also worried about disease but so far, we haven't had any and from what I've been told, the odds are low that bunny poo would make them sick. Still, you don't want Beau to overindulge so try to keep it to a minimum.