Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Edan sick again :(

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Silaria, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    As Edan is want to do, he got sick right before DH and I were traveling out on vacation. Unfortunately, we really couldn't cancel the trip because 3 other people were depending on us showing up since we had the tickets for the NASCAR race we were attending.

But, let me start at the beginning...

The last weekend of June we opened a new bag of BB Small Breed Chicken and Brown Rice. I noticed nothing unusual about the food and both he and CJ were devouring it as usual.

Then came July 4th and Edan vomited up most of what he ate that day. Tuesday, July 5th he was fine so we thought it was just a fluke on Monday. Wednesday he was fine all day until about 4:30 PM when he vomited for nearly 1.5 hours straight (every 10 - 15 minutes).

That 1.5 hour event resulted in a call to the vet and a tech appointment for some anti-vomiting medication. (Edan's on Thyroid medication so getting this under control quickly was necessary.) We also had a 4 day prescription of Cerenia.

After talking to my breeder, thankfully she was still willing to take Edan while we were gone. While we the breeder he refused to eat even a bland diet. She managed to get him to eat his food one evening after putting some Iams Savory Sauce on it.

We picked them up last night. Just to try it, we purchased 1 can of BB food to see if he's eat his dry mixed with the wet. Well, he licked the wet and left the dry. So, I just gave him some wet food to get something on his stomach.

This morning, he didn't want to eat the dry mixed with wet at all. :( Called the vet and managed to get an appointment this afternoon. About an hour after calling the vet, I tried to give Edan some white bread and he ate it so I gave him a little more canned food, which he also devoured.

At the vets a standard exam showed no issues and his temperature is in the normal range. It also showed he'd lost half a pound since Wednesday since he won't eat. :( We are doing a full health panel on him - equivalent to a senior wellness check - just to make sure nothing internal is wrong. I should have those results tomorrow. We also got another 4 day prescription of Cerenia to try and settle his stomach.

Tonight, we are back to not wanting to eat anything. I hope we can figure out what is wrong soon. I'm really worried about him.

Part of me wonders if something changed in the BB food even though CJ is OK with it. All this started within a week of the new bag of food. I have a bag of Welness Core (salmon variety) to switch him to but I don't want to start feeding it to him until I know his tummy is OK.

I'm starting to freak out! If he doesn't start eating soon he's going to be unhealthily under weight. He's already 2 pounds under where I want him.

I don't know what to do at this point. He won't eat ANYTHING - even Cheerios, white bread, cheese... nothing. :cry:

2. MissSuzie

MissSuzie Forums Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2008
    Beautiful SW Florida
    Oh, I hope little Edan is feeling better soon. The unknown is so unnerving! Keep us posted.

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I'm so sorry to hear about Edan. I hope he's feeling better soon. From what you're describing, it certainly sounds like something in the food doesn't agree with him. Have you tried some white rice with chicken broth? Or my go-to solution when they won't eat anything, the little jars of chicken baby food. Once they'll eat that, I mix it with a bit of white rice.

Once you get him sorted out, I would try him on a limited ingredient diet for a while, just to be safe.

In the meantime, sending Edan pats and prayers that he is better soon!

4. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    I may try some baby food if he doesn't eat tomorrow. I'm not sure if that will help since he won't even eat white bread or chicken noodle soup or Cheerios or cheese, etc.

I'm really hoping the tests show something because he really can't afford to loose any weight. You can already feel his spine and ribs. His weight shouldn't match his height.

5. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    I am so sorry to hear that Eden is not feeling well.

I second what Ann says. Chicken and rice....starting with baby food chicken.

I hope that he feels better soon.

6. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    I've been using watered down condensed chicken noodle soup and white bread instead of chicken and rice because he can actually digest the noodles better than the rice. Trust me, that was the first thing I tried and he wants NOTHING to do with it.

I've tried giving him some of the frozen chicken broth I have for agility trials and he won't lick at that.

Oh, I forgot to mention the vet said he was a bit dehydrated also. I'm very worried the blood tests are going to come back with liver or kidney issues.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  7. LadyMcBeth

LadyMcBeth Forums Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2010
    San Marcos TX
    No wisdom or advice to offer, just thinking of you and Edan and hoping all turns out ok....prayers to the God of all good things...

8. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Oh no...I am sad reading about Edan. I know how upsetting it is when they are sick and can't tell us what is wrong.

I'm hoping that it was something with the food and that he'll be better soon. I'm sending good thoughts that his tests all come back clear.

Get well soon, Edan. Eat something so you can feel better, and your mom can breathe easier!

PS: I read somewhere that you can feed your dogs Pedialyte to make sure they stay hydrated.

9. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    That's a great tip! I remember reading that as well.

10. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Great tip! I remember seeing that also. Worst case is I give it to him via a syringe to make him drink some. Thanks for reminding me about that.

I'm waiting rather impatiently for a call from the Vet with the test results. He said they should be back today and I'd hear from him late morning - around lunch time. GAH!!!

He did eat a little of the wet food this morning. Seems like he's only eating what he has to to stop from starving completely. Honestly, if the tests come back clean, I'm going to ask about an appetite stimulant since its been so many days since he's eaten decently. (Guaranteed, since he ate something this morning he won't touch the food this afternoon.) I know he's hungry - I can hear his stomach grumble from being empty. :(

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011