Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Ellie Mae

Discussion in 'Sheltie Angels' started by Lahree, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Lahree

Lahree Forums Enthusiast

Dec 15, 2008
    North Texas
    I know some of you remember Ellie and I. We were active members at the beginning of Ellie's life with us and then I posted less and less and then stopped.

Ellie had numerous health problems over her life--including going blind 2 years ago. She was 9 years and 8 months old when we lost her very, very suddenly and totally unexpectedly on July 25th. She was absolutely fine (to our eyes) in the morning and then suddenly she wasn't and we had no other options to us other than to end her suffering that evening. It all happened that quickly. I will spare the details, but she died from having un-diagnosed liver cancer lesions that burst.

I know there are thousands of you out there that know this pain. My husband and I have no children. Ellie was our baby. Her loss is immeasurable.

I doubt we will ever get another dog. Unfortunately, the cost of buying one and then owning one is outside of our finances. All of the emergency treatment that was provided to her to get her diagnosed and then try to save her, was in the thousands.

I know that I would get support and understanding here. Thanks for reading my post.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    Chris likes this.
  2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I am so very sorry to read this. I remember reading all about Ellie Mae and her beautiful curly fur!

You are in my thoughts during this difficult time.

ghggp likes this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Lahree,

May I say how sorry I am to read of Ellie Mae's passing. Nothing ever prepares you for a loss no matter if it is sudden or expected. My heart just goes out to you. I also never had children and I have to say all my mothering instincts went into caring for my fur babies. I know your husband and you are as devastated not only by her passing but the additional financial burden of pet ownership.

I recently got a puppy and got a pet insurance policy due to that very same concern.

Please consider creating a memorial of dear Ellie Mae on Sheltie Nation. On the right side of the page of the home page, you can click on
    Sheltie Angels
    Visit the newest section of Sheltie Nation!
    https://sheltienation.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/sableangelblue.jpg

My sincerest condolences on your loss and for many more happy memories fill your heart.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  4. Lahree

Lahree Forums Enthusiast

Dec 15, 2008
    North Texas
    Thank you so much! I have a lock of her beautiful curly hair that was clipped for me at the time of her passing. At first, looking at it made everything worse, now, it's some comfort.

Jams and corbinam like this.
  5. Lahree

Lahree Forums Enthusiast

Dec 15, 2008
    North Texas
    I thank you so much for your kind words. When I get some time, I will certainly look at creating a memorial.

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    so sorry to hear about Ellie- she was beautiful and I loved her curls too:cry:

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I'm so sorry to hear about Ellie Mae's loss. I remember well your stories about her and enjoyed her many adventures. It's so hard to lose them, no matter what their health issues might be. I wish you peace, comfort and warm memories of your precious girl.

8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    OMGosh, beautiful Ellie Mae with her curly locks, I often wondered what was happening with her, I missed hearing her stories. I can't believe she has gone so young what a hard thing for you to go through and having to make that final decision, and bless you for trying to save her even with money being tight. You must be absolutely devastated. Thank you for letting us know.
    You were so lucky to have found each other, even though the time was short, I could tell how much Ellie Mae was loved and how much she adored you and her dad.

9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Forums Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Definitely remember you and Ellie Mae (all my girls have middle name Mae, also). I am so very sorry to hear of her passing. Went through this twice just a few years ago with Asta and Ally. We never had kids either so yes, the furkids are family for us and we understand the devastating loss. I hope with time the memories just grow sweeter.

Maybe someday in the future the patter of little paws will echo through your home again. :hugs

10. Lahree

Lahree Forums Enthusiast

Dec 15, 2008
    North Texas
    Thank you! I remember you so well from my days on the forum!