Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Encouragement for potty training fail

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by Daisy1015, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Daisy1015

Daisy1015 Premium Member

May 2, 2014
    It will happen right?
    My other shelties figured it out sooo much easier. Mine and the ones growing up.

my “late bloomer” I got at 12 weeks and was trained by 17 weeks. A few accidents after I am sure, but rare.

my first I got at 10 weeks , trained by 12. Yes he was a unicorn. Two accidents at 6 month regression.

My girl, who is stereotyped by my mother as so much eAsier, is 17 weeks and clueless and I got her at 8 weeks. She could go all night at 8 weeks. My mim jinxed me.

We started to get some asking about two weeks ago, she would go to the window and look out. In a crate or pen she will yip. For the last week, nothing unless crated. I gave her the kitchen instead of her crate while I taught today just in the afternoon. She peed. My kids had taken her out on their break. And again later right in front of me while penned in the kitchen. She peed huge amounts so I understand not being able to hold it any longer. It hadn’t been that long since she had been out. We take her out on a leash which reduces distractions and she goes faster. It is hard for her to sit still long enough to empty her bladder outside and after play she is drinking alot. But not all the time like an ill dog and we are still hot here. I would be worried but she doesn’t have this issue crated or at night.

the dog is extremely smart. That isn’t the issue and very active with an off switch, easy to calm not blind hyper.
    She can focus through her active periods.

She has many more accidents in the evening. We take her out often especially for a dog who can go 10-6 or 7. My daughter’s theory is she is in a regression stage. I hope so! She is developmentally mature in other areas compared to my boys ie hitting stages a little earlier not just growing sooner.

it will come right? I have just been so spoiled with my other two.

Encourage me!

she is cute though!

Attached Files:

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I would agree that she's regressed a bit. I'd say if she's peeing in her pen then make it smaller, at least until she gets it again. Are you treating enough when she's outside and perhaps your increasing her freedom to quickly...she's still quite young. I'd be patient...they're not all the same. Both Piper and Finnie were a handful at training...even at a year they'd regress and have an accident. Heck, Finnie (2 1/2) peed in the house about 2 months ago two days in a row...nipped that in the bud fast by watching him constantly and lots of pee pee treats. They're so smart and I really think they like to test us from time to time to see how much they can get away with lol.

3. Daisy1015

Daisy1015 Premium Member

May 2, 2014
    Yes I just enlarged her pen today for part of the day to allow the dogs to play. I made it smaller again. I had phased off treating outside. May have to reintroduce. I was hoping to treat for asking to go out but that isn’t happening this week. She is so smart and food motivated it can interfere with her emptying her bladder. Like treating for quiet... a bark and then Quiet means treat right? So bark for the purpose of going quiet means extra purposeful barks.

With kids we have alot of excitement which seems to create extra potty frequently similar to a submissive peer except she is uber confident. Luckily kids are also old enough to help take her out.

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Daisy1015

Daisy1015 Premium Member

May 2, 2014
    she regressed in walking manners this week too. Acts like a puppy herding shoes. But is starting to “leave it” for food and “drop” objects, waits for three seconds when putting her food down til I tell her ok, these are huge for her. She is food obsessed. some other tricks this week too .

5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I didn't see the picture before...she's absolutely gorgeous! Yes, at 17 weeks I'd definitely say it's too soon to fade out the treats, she's still very young. I continued well past 8 months and then some but of course I have boys lol. Anytime they start regressing just back up in training and up the treats...dogs and puppies forget all the time!
    I wonder too, when your kids took her out did they make sure she peed? I know when I was a kid it was fun to watch the puppy run and play but honestly I didn't pay much attention to their potty habits lol.
    Good luck and just keep doing what you were doing but don't rush it, I didn't even increase the level of freedom until they'd gone 30 days without an accident. Of course they'd usually make it to day 25:ROFLMAO:...

Sharon7 and Caro like this.
  6. Daisy1015

Daisy1015 Premium Member

May 2, 2014
    I just need to be reminded my other two were unicorns and I got lucky. :)

they are pretty good about it. We take her out on a leash. Prevents play/ distractions at this age and she does her business faster.

Yeah i will reintroduce clicker and treats again. She is sooo food motivated it is silly. It can distract her emptying her bladder so I phases out to see if it helped. Apparently not! Will try clicking getting to the door and then for going.

Today we may have had our timing off. It usually happens in the evenings or after running around even after having just peed. Yesterday morning it was after already going out. Normally she is crated if I am teaching. Today in the afternoon we let the two have the kitchen area. At least it is linoleum! It was so much. I will give it a month seen if it improves. I have always felt having a door they can see through makes such a difference. We don’t have that anymore.

Piper's mom likes this.
  7. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Brodie has the bladder of a camel now, but it took that first year to be 100% reliable, 100% of the time, but I get it that there might be an accident once in a while even as adults. He'd be good, regress a bit, be good, regress a bit. He never poo'd in the house but when we got pee under control, he started to poo in the house! While younger dogs often do get it earlier, if you set your mind on a year, anything that happens earlier is a gift. Our Kooper was not reliable until 5 (years - not months) - he was golden up until this year when at 12 he started to have beginning kidney issues- he's back on an every 3 hour schedule. We have NEVER given up potty treats. Even our cat comes running to the door when I bring the dogs in! I never want them to not be rewarded for a job well done. :)

Piper's mom likes this.
  8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    I guess that I'm the minority here. I have never given anyone treats for pottying outside- lots of praise but never any food.
    I'd seen dogs that wouldn't finish their business but did enough to get a cookie and then later have an accident because they were too focused on getting that cookie.

SheepOfBlue, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    I am like Calliesmom - I never used treats just lots of praise. Otherwise all the focus was on the treat, not on doing their business.

I was in a bit of despair about Meadow about the age of your pup (what is her name again?). She did have the odd accident when I thought she was pretty solid. I literally took her out every half hour to hour while she was awake, and I use the command "Go piddle". As soon as she went, lots of praise and play with a tug rope. She had one accident at 5 months of age but is now almost 8 months and no more accidents.

You might try using just one area for potty so she knows that's why she's out there. I don't know how old your kids are, but I never assume a dog has gone unless I've witnessed it! :lol:

Piper's mom and Calliesmom like this.
  10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    You guys are lucky with your girls! I swear Finnie would get to day 20 without an accident and I'd think "YES" he's got it. Few days later he'd have an accident and we'd be back at square one. On and on until he was neutered and then last Christmas when he hurt his hock he started that again but I quickly realized why so I watched him closer and took him out more which helped.
    Piper same thing but he was worse in a way. His marking was so bad (outside only) he'd even pee overtop of Riley's pee in the yard. I think because of this he never quite emptied his bladder and had accidents. Neutered at 2 and he's had 1 accident in 3 years.
    I've used treats when both were pups and then stopped when they got older. Whenever they regressed I phased in the treats again but only for a short time. I also always took the accident prone dog out alone...less distractions and if I had both dogs then both would want a treat lol.

Sharon7 likes this.