Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Epic's first Championship show

Discussion in 'Handling Chat' started by seashel, May 3, 2012.

1. seashel

seashel Forums Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2010
    Kent, UK
    I had my misgivings as I set off with a friend and her sheltie on the 450 mile round trip to Epic's first Championship show (West of England Ladies Kennel Society) last friday. He is on the lower levels for size, still acceptable by the standard but as many shelties seem to be on the larger end of the scale, I was concerned he would look out of place. He's still very imature for his age. Tris I've noticed seem to mature much more slowly than sables and his is a slow maturing line too. (I will be posting pics shortly although not of the show). It was a pretty grotty day with persistant and heavy rain so we were indoors, however unlike many shows where 'indoors' means a cold and muddy tent flapping in the wind, this was fortunatly a spacious building and reasonably warm too.

Epic has developed an unfortunate apprehension of anyone going over his back end on the table, which wasn't helped by limited ringcraft opputunities when he was under 6 months so I didn't know how he would behave. His first two open shows were not really sucessful as he was very unsettled but I have been working at it and he is slowly getting steadier. It's weird as he used to be very excited about being on the table and nothing untoward has happened.:confused2:

Anyhow, he was in a class of 12 so that took the pressure off and he was far more relaxed on the table than before. I was delighted how he moved and stood too. He was very much the baby of the class (9-12 months) and wasn't placed but I was very encouraged by his behaviour both in the ring and in general during the day. He took most things in his stride and made friends with some of the other sheltie puppies.

He's got a couple more Championship shows booked while he is still in the puppy classes but after that I think I'll take him out of the ring for a bit and concentrate on obedience and agility. Hopefully that will give him more confidence and when he has matured I will bring him out again. If anyone has any useful tips for getting him steadier on the table they would be appreciated too:winkgrin:

2. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Sounds like overall a good experience....Even though he didnt place it was a good experience to get him out and used to the whole event of showing and the procedures of it.

3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Glad to hear it was a positive experience. What a good boy, Epic!

4. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Sounds like a successful outing for Epic! Hope it goes well and we will soon be seeing his win pictures. :)

5. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    Sounds like a positive experience for him and at least the rain didn't spoil your day.

Merlin went through similar phases of sudden nervousness about things he had previously done (noticeably on the seesaw at agility) and also with people, but then he improved again and his confidence returned (and then some).

I'm sure Epic will find his feet eventually and I too look forward to the winning pics:wink2: