Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

essential oils spot-on treatment for Skin conditions

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by Caro, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Has anyone used a spot-on treatment for skin for their dogs?

Tully has dander since being on a low fat diet and her coat is looking dull. I asked the internist about adding Omegas to her diet. He suggested a spot-on instead because it's not ingested. Apparently show people use it but I never heard of it. I suppose there's some logic behind it, but I wonder if not ingesting the omegas loses some of their value. Do they really spread across the skin, and if it only goes on the surface how does that add lustre to the coat?

These are the ingredients of the Australian one called Dermoscent essential 6
    10 essential oils (clove, camphor, gaultheria, rosemary, curcuma, oregano, lavender, peppermint, tea tree and cedar), hemp and neem oil. Dermoscent is rich is essential fatty acids (Omega 6 and Omega 3) and Vitamin E.

Piper's mom likes this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I came across this article about using omega 3s...

ARE THERE TOPICAL OPTIONS FOR OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS?
    Yes! If your pet is having serious skin issues, ask your pet about a topical omega-3 fatty acid supplement to use in concert with the oral fish oil. Such topical veterinary products include Dermoscent Essential 6® Spot-On treatment or HyLyt® Bath Oil Spray, both manufactured by Bayer, or the DOUXO® Calming line of shampoos, mousse, and gel. These products replenish the skin’s fat barrier to rehydrate the skin and may be especially helpful in cases of canine or feline atopic dermatitis (or atopy) in which the body has a genetic predisposition to skin barrier disruptions and responds with excessive inflammation to environmental allergens. If your pet has atopy and is on immunosuppressant medications such as cyclosporine (Atopica®) for management, the addition of omega-3 fatty acids in oral and topical form may allow for lower doses of cyclosporine. Cases of recurrent pyoderma (skin infections), feline chin acne, sebaceous adenitis, color dilution alopecia, certain ear infections and oily ear margins, as well as cases of idiopathic nasal or footpad hyperkeratosis have also improved with use of such products. These topical products also deodorize the skin, meaning your pet may require less medicated baths. Win-win!
    Sounds like it may help Tully's dull coat, don't know how much Omega 3's actually get absorbed by the body though.

Caro likes this.