Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Eukanuba

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by Cooper'sMama, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Cooper'sMama

Cooper'sMama Forums Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    Does anyone feed Eukanuba puppy growth? What are your opinions on it?

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    When we got Layla, my breeder was feeding Eukanuba. Her Sheltie was the Eukanuba Champion, so she got a boatload.

After a few weeks, she started refusing it. I thought she was being stubborn, so I sat by her until she ate it. Then she look up at me pitifully, leaned over, and barfed it all back up. "Mommy, I told you I couldn't eat it any more."

Needless to say, we got new food. We feed Acana.

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    that is voicing her opinion:ick

4. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    I tried Acana ( my daughter feeds it to her cats) but it was much too rich ( very runny poops). The breeder was feeding Purina ProPlan but I switched her over to a blend of:

50% Royal Canin Medi-cal small dog development ( from the vet)
    50% Oven Baked Tradition small breed puppy chicken ( pet store)

With the proplan I always had left over kibble, this blend gets completely eaten. She gets the same 1/2 cup per day, split in 2 meals plus training treats.

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Most of the breeders I know feed Eukanuba. They do make a good puppy food...it used to be called Eukanuba Pure but they've changed the name although the formula is the same. It's Eukanuba Excel now. It has no by-products or corn and the rest of the ingredients look OK.

6. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

There is so much better food than this though I admit its better than it was. It used to be by-products and corn meal as the first ingredients.

A lot of breeders feed eukanuba or pro plan because they get the food free or deeply discounted if they recommend it. Something to keep in mind.

We all have our favourites, but ultimately you need to make your choice based on what you feel is important. Grain-free? Price?? Natural ingredients? Fruits and veggies? Allergies?

There are great websites to assist.

Dogfoodanalysis.com
    Dogfoodadvisor.com.

For the record. I feed Now! Senior to Indy. I like the grain-free, medium protein, lower fat.

I'm now feeding BAcca Blue Senior because he needs low protein for his liver. It's not grain free but it has the blue orange and red fruits/veggies.

7. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    We feed Eukanuba because it works. It has a proven track record of providing excellent nutrition for pregnant/nursing bitches, growing puppies, and active show dogs. You can compare ingredient lists all day long, but if the food works, it works.

The only "free" or "deeply discounted" food we get from Eukanuba is through their paw points program: for every 120 pounds of dog food you buy, you get a coupon for a free 20 pounds. I'd hardly call that a kickback.

Yes, there is a program to get additional "paw points" if new puppy owners log on to a Euk website and sign up to get coupons/offers - but they're free to feed whatever food they think is best (and from what I've seen on this forum, most do).

8. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    Beaverdam is a dog food made locally here in Delaware, and it gets high ratings at the dog food advisor site. Dickens loves it and has thrived on it; he's still getting the puppy/adult version, which has a 27 percent protein content and none of the filler material that other dog foods use to boost their protein ratings. For all that, you can get a 40-pound bag for less than $30.

9. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    110% agree!!! I dont know why and im not going to question but feeding Eukanuba puppy and performance keeps them in top condition and I have healthy solid puppies with it...and yes as far as the "kickback" We have to buy 10 bags to get one free..lol...not much of a kickback and the majority of dog food brands do this for breeders. Also with Purina/eukanuba they do give back and back breeders, they sponsor a number of dog events and even Purina has a magnificent dog/cat center in MO.

10. Cooper'sMama

Cooper'sMama Forums Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    Thanks for y'all's feedback!! I'm new to the forum, and so far, I love it!!
    But anyways, I have a 18 week old sheltie pup. I had him on iams puppy until he started having diarrhea and vomiting after he ate. My vet then asked me to try hills ideal balance. I did and his still would never firm up, I bought a bag of Eukanuba puppy, and was gonna try it tonight.

I want a more natural food, with no by-products. I'm not sure about no grain? I love everyone's opinions!! And I don't mind price, I'm gonna have to probably order food anyways, because I haven't got a pet store near me :/