Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Explain Blowing Coat, Please!

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by RetiredProf, May 27, 2009.

1. RetiredProf

RetiredProf Forums Enthusiast

May 19, 2009
    Wilmington, DE
    Fergus is 10 weeks old, so I probably don't have to worry about this for a while. But...can someone give me an explanation of what this is, how to recognize it, how long it lasts and what to do when it happens?

2. Crystal1

Crystal1 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2009
    Ft Worth, TX
    Blowing coat is when a sheltie sheds a huge amount of fur within about a 1 month period. Females usually blow their coat twice a year because of going through esterus (their breeding stage). Males usually blow their coat only once a year, but because the males usually have a fuller coat, they usually shed even worse. Typically, shelties blow their coat in the Spring and/or the Fall. The sign that this is starting, is when you find a lot of dog hair around and when you pet your sheltie you get covered in it. Sometimes it can clog up your vacuum. What you do at the first indications, is brush, brush, brush your sheltie. The more you brush, the less it gets on your clothes, furniture and carpet or floor. Fortunately this lasts about a month, the rest of the year isn't nearly as bad.

At 10 weeks, Fergus may miss this Spring's shed, but might catch the fall blow out. My 5 month old sheltie, Buddy, just finished his Spring blow out.

It's not as bad as it sounds!

3. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    yip crystal is right, however the puppy coat blow is the worst I think. Its when they loose all the wolly soft fur and that sticks to EVERYTHING!!! I am constantly going pffftt after I pick them up because it sticks to everything including your mouth:lol: after that its usually not as bad and I only notice really bad when I am blowing them with the super duty metro dryer and it flies everywhere!! Thats when they get done outside if I can help it! brushing does help alot though.

4. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    The "suddenly shedding" is especially thrilling when it starts in the car during a long trip. Whee -- travelling in a snow globe! :dead:

5. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Instant visual! :biggrin2::lol:

6. davemize

davemize Forums Enthusiast

May 1, 2009
    Pickerington, Ohio
    When we had basset hounds, I always described 'blowing coat' as when I had more dog hair on me than the hounds did.

7. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I can believe that! No dog can shed like a hound! Short, sticky hairs that get into everything!

8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I dunno, Deska sheds in garbage bag loads. My mum showed me an article last year about a woman who knits things from her sheltie's fur!

9. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    There was actually a sheltie lady in our club that does that...I havent seen her in awhile though...She used to make everything with the fur...I was always kinda creeped out by it though like how clean is the fur she was using and was it poop chute fur?!:winkgrin:

10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    There was a post on Sheltie Nation about using dog hair to knit with. There are companies that will wash, card and spin the fur into yarn for you. I've been saving Callie's fur so that someday I can have a sweater made from her fur. When I was first searching online for sheltie books, there was a hit for a book called Knitting with Dog Hair : Better A Sweater from A Dog You Know and Love Than from A Sheep You'll Never Meet
    (http://books.barnesandnoble.com/sea...ing+dog+hair&r=1&box=knitting dog hair&pos=-1)
    I totally loved the title so I had to buy the book :wink2::lol: