Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Farewell, Annie Laurie

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Chris, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Our Annie Laurie is gone. She died in her Daddy's arms.

DH and I were in Mexico when my DS called to say Annie was failing fast. Thank God it was our last day, and we were flying home that afternoon. But would we get there in time?
    The day before, I had contacted my dear friend who is an animal communicator. She said Annie was confused and needed something of Brad's to to smell and to lie on the bed to snuggle with his pillow. She said she wanted a snack -- applesauce, which DS gave her. She didn't understand when our friend said Daddy wanted her to eat and drink ("Huh?"). Annie said she was cold, especially her feet, so DS wrapped her in DH's shirt and a blanket. When she herd it would be one more dark, and then Daddy would be home, she said "OK, I will wait, but I am tired of waiting." By Thursday morning, she could barely stand, and my DS took her to the vet, where she became comatose. DS called us, and together with Dr. Robbins, we decided we would make Annie comfortable, hydrate her, and hope she could hold on until we arrived. Having been a hospice nurse, I knew Annie was in no pain or discomfort.

When our plane landed at 8 pm, we sped through customs, retrieved our luggage, snagged a taxi and made it 30 miles to the vet in exactly one hour. Trust me, from Dulles International, that was a miracle.

I am so grateful to Dr. Robbins and the Catoctin Veterinary Clinic team. All day, they kept her quiet, warm and safe, checking on her every 15 minutes and allowing my sister Colleen to stay with her until we arrived from Mexico. Dr. Robbins was waiting when we got there at 9:00 pm. He gave Brad and me time to say our farewells. The vet team had laid her on her dog bed with Brad's shirt and a blanket wrapped around her. two candles were lit at her feet. She was still comatose, but when Brad came in and kissed her, she opened her eyes to look at him one last time. Gently, Keith helped her slip into the night, away to St. Francis' loving welcome. May we all have such a beautiful, peaceful passing.

26992375_10215122696358725_8226379861030819650_n.jpg

2. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I am so sorry. What a beautiful picture. My heart hurts for you...

Chris likes this.
  3. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    My condolences to you and your husband. A gentle death to a gentle soul. Rest in peace Annie Laurie. Hugs Chris....

Chris likes this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    As I write this with tears filling my eyes, I understand and know the pain you are feeling now. My sincerest condolences on your loss of sweet and dear Annie Laurie.
    What a wonderful life she had. So much love. So much care. So much devotion. No dog could have asked for or received more. So cherished was this little dog...

RIP to you sweet Annie Laurie.

We thought of you today, But that is nothing new.
    We thought about you yesterday, and days before that too.
    We think of you in silence, we often speak your name.
    Now, all we have is memories and your picture in a frame.
    Your memory is our keepsake, With which we'll never part.
    God has you in his keeping, We have you in our heart.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    RikyR, Piper's mom and Chris like this.
  5. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Reading about Annie Laurie's passing just broke my heart. I am so, so, so sorry for your loss.

As someone who sadly lost a dog while on vacation, I am very glad you were able to say goodbye and be there for her as she opened and closed eyes.

Rest peacefully sweet girl.

Chris likes this.
  6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Gosh, I can't stop crying. Such a beautiful girl. I am so glad you were able to be with her at the end, and thank-you for sharing that story it was just lovely to hear, esp opening her eyes to her dad.

Annie Laurie will be sorely missed by everyone here, I'll miss your stories and pictures. A really big hug to you both and the pups.

Chris likes this.
  7. Jams

Jams Premium Member

Sep 8, 2017

Chris likes this.
  8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Oh Chris, I can't hardly type through my tears. I'm so grateful you and your husband were able to make it to Annie Laurie's side to ease her over to the Rainbow Bridge. She had the best life ever, and you know a wonderful reunion awaits you someday. Many hugs and heartfelt condolences to you.

Your vet is an angel, too.

Chris likes this.
  9. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

My sincere condolences..I am glad you were able to make it in time for Annie Laurie.

Chris likes this.
  10. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Chris I am so sorry for your loss. Please know I’m thinking of you, your DS, and especially your husband as I know Annie was daddy’s girl. Love to you and yours.

Chris likes this.