Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Fat Sheltie

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Mandy177, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Mandy177

Mandy177 Forums Novice

Aug 18, 2015
    marlborough. Ct
    My sheltie is going on 7 this year and he has gained too much weight, I realized I was feeding him too much so I started to measure his food, and am cutting it down, he is Orijen six fish as he had some itching problems which this food really helped. His buddy Callie eats almost as much as him but she is really not to bad as weight goes maybe a little puggie how much do most of you feed your Shelties cup wise a day, Skye is a larger type Sheltie, any info would be helpful, if he does not lose weight I will probably have him tested for thyroid, but I am not sure if that is the problem as he doesn't do much.

2. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Spirit Joy is between 11 and 12 pounds, and she eats 2.4 ounces of a raw beef formula twice a day.

3. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Sca is just under 16" very stocky and strong at 31lbs I feed Fromms and he get 3/4 in the AM then 1/2 PM Close to desired weight. I vary his by adding or subtracting a 1/4
    Spitfire is around 20lbs and just under 14" and a bit over ideal weight. Much finer boned than Sca but runs around a LOT and is a bit crazy. Also feed Fromms and he get 1/2 in the AM then 1/4 PM I vary his by adding or subtracting a 1/4

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  4. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    Dickens is a big Sheltie too. I've had much success feeding him a combination consisting of a cup of dry food (Blue Wilderness) per day, three ounces of lean, raw beef, a couple of ounces of beef in the form of homemade jerky, and a daily 6" beef gullet strip or raw turkey neck for chewing/tooth cleaning. He gets a half-teaspoon of bacon fat per day. He's remained a pretty consistent 43 to 44 pounds on this diet. It's essentially an Atkins Diet for dogs.

For dieting, I'd say, cut down the dry food and replace it with lean meat, and give NO starches or sugars. Add a little exercise and I think the weight will come off.

5. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    The measuring cup is what has saved us over the years. It can be hard to tell for sure how much they are getting if you don't. Katy and Bailey used to get the same amount of kibble per day and for years they both stayed at target weight. Bailey started having some health issues and lost weight. He's on prescription kibble and now gets more than Katy to keep his weight up. Bailey's amounts change based on his weight so that likely isn't helpful to you. However, Katy gets 1/2 cup twice a day of Fromm's dry kibble per the Vet's suggestion (the amount not the brand) and that amount hasn't changed since we got her 4 years ago at age 3.

We've always consulted with the vet at the yearly appointment to make sure our feeding amounts are on target based on their weight and health. Bailey now gets monthly checks to make sure his weight is being maintained. One of the things she impressed on us is that you also have to remember the treats as part of an overall weight management program if you notice weight increasing. That may not be an issue for you, but treats add calories. You have to balance the overall calorie count if weight is a challenge.

Exercise can help, too. The winter months can be tough for us, but we try to get more active during the Spring-Fall Months. Katy loves to run, chase, and play so she burns a great deal even when we the humans aren't as active in the winter. That I think has helped keep her at her target weight.

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    One sheltie - almost 18" at the shoulder and 28 lb. gets 1/2 cup in the am and the same in the pm. has maintained weight for quite a while. One - almost 17" at the shoulder and 26 lb- he's longer and gets the same but he's probably a little skinny really.
    the other two are smaller and get 1/4 cup in am and pm.

7. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I had a hard time keeping my Shelties trim with Orijen and Acana. I switched to Great Life and had much better success. Now we feed Anamaet Grain Free Lean -- looks to be just as satisfying to them and slimming.

8. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    My three are 14.5" (Edan), 14.25" (CJ), and 13.5" (Keiran) tall. The Edan and CJ weigh 17.4 lb and 18 lbs respectively, Keiran weighs about 14.5 lbs.

We feed a rotation diet of Fromm's Four-Star line (with the grains). Edan and Keiran each get 1/3 cup twice a day. CJ gets 1/4 cup twice a day. This amount takes into account the fact that they get a number of treats during training and during the day. Normally I have to increase their intake during the summer because we are more active. It's not unusual for the Edan to get 1/2 cup twice a day and CJ 1/3 cup twice a day during the late spring through early fall months. This is our first summer with Keiran not on puppy food so we'll see what we'll have to do for him as time progresses.

9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Piper gets almost a cup/day plus his treats for training and he weighs 18 pounds and is 14 1/2 inches tall. He also gets more to eat in the spring through fall as we walk a minimum of 3 miles per day plus all his excercize's for obedience. This is also my first year with him so if his weight should go down I'd probably give him a bit more (I stop in at the vets monthly just to get his weight).

10. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    Olive gets 4 scant 1/4 C meals of Acana (Pacifica, Ranchlands, Lamb, on a monthly rotation) a day and with regular exercise maintains 16lbs at 13.5". But she has finer bone than a lot of American shelties, closer to the build of a mini Aussie so the lighter weight fits.