Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Favorite chews for puppies?

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Elei, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Elei

Elei Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2019
    What's your favorite chew toy/or edible chew for puppies? I'm looking for some ideas of things to try with Kip.
    Kip will be 7 months in a few days, and is now a major chewer. I have puppy nylabones and a kong, plus some other rubber chews but he is not very interested. The stuffed kong occupies him for a few minutes at best.
    So what does your puppy like to chew?

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    corbinam, Hanne and Sharon7 like this.
  3. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Shelby’s all time favorite is bully sticks!! When she was young and a BIG chewer we would also give her himalayan bones. They are harder and lasted much longer than the bully sticks.

She also was not very interested in the “non-edible” chews. Unless it was our furniture, walls, moulding.....

Hanne and Sharon7 like this.
  4. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Bully sticks, cows ears...any of those chew "toys" were ignored. Fillion can finish off a 12" bully stick in about an hour. Jaws has nothing on this boy!!

ghggp and Sharon7 like this.
  5. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    Beef tendons. My two are hot or miss on the bully stick. Apparently it depends on the stick. :banghead:

Beef tendons last a week or two. The bully sticks much longer. Especially if it’s one deemed unacceptable.

Sharon7 likes this.
  6. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Forums Sage

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Bully sticks (low odor ones for indoors - summer they get regular ones for out on the deck), pig ears, cow ears. I do buy US sourced stuff, avoiding China sources, which does make things a tad pricier but gives me some pieces of mind. I bought a huge box of 100 pig ears which are massive and split them in half (not an easy feat). In the summer, they LOVE Beam's ocean chews but def NOT an indoor chewy!!! I actually hide the bag because if Brodie sees it, he cries for them. I typically pull any chewy when it gets down to that last piece. They are supposed to be digestible but I figure why chance it?

Watson's Mom likes this.
  7. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Mine too will literally turn up their noses at certain bully sticks! I'm standing there in the kitchen asking Why?? It got to the point that so many were deemed unworthy plus Costco raised the prices again I switched over to cow ears. I don't have the money to leave that much on the table...err floor! :ROFLMAO:
    Haven't tried pig ears--I thought they supposed to be greasy and was afraid my area rugs would get icky.

Watson's Mom likes this.
  8. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I wish I could buy Bully Sticks here in Denmark :yes:

No matter what I find, Minnie eats it way too quickly,
    and it is not because she needs calories,
    but because she has to have something to chew on for a long time.

Pig ears and smoked stuff are no go

Caro if you read this - can you buy them in Australia ??
    perhaps under a different name.

9. Elei

Elei Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2019
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm going to petco tomorrow and will try to find something. Kip is getting some new teeth, and his mouth is sore right now. He doesn't want to play tug, but he is super crazy about chewing. I desperately need something for him to chew on!

10. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Forums Sage

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Why are pigs ears a no go? These are not smoked, not greasy, US sourced and manufactured. I tried cow ears but they are softer, get eaten quickly and the last part often gets swallowed. I have been giving 1/2 to each dog once a week or every other week. They get no affect from them as far as poo changes - all remains same. Just curious....