Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

FDA: Do Not Buy or Feed ANY Pig Ear Pet Treats

Discussion in 'General Health' started by ghggp, Aug 1, 2019.

1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall/fda-alert-pig-ear-pet-treats/

July 31, 2019 — In the wake of 2 recent and related recalls, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration is advising consumers to avoid buying or feeding all pig ear pet treats… and for retailers to stop selling these products.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Bulk-Pig-Ear-Dog-Treats-343x205.jpg

What Caused the FDA Alert?
    Together with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the FDA is investigating a suspected link between pig ear pet treats and human cases of salmonellosis.

As of July 31, 2019, the CDC reports that there are now 127 cases of human infection tied to exposure to pig ear pet treats with Salmonella.

Twenty-six people have been hospitalized. There are no reported deaths.

The FDA has traced back some of the pig ear treats associated with cases of illness to sources in Argentina and Brazil.

Human Salmonella Outbreak
    Now Includes 33 States

The growing human Salmonella outbreak related to contaminated pig ears treats now includes the following states:

Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin.

CDC Salmonella Outbreak Map
    Updated July 31, 2019

People infected with the outbreak strains of Salmonella related to contaminated pig ears treats by state of residence:

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/CDC-Pig-Ears-Salmonella-Outbreak-Map-July-31-2019-668x429.jpg

Hanne and Ann like this.
  2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    No way in hell will I give those things to a Sheltie.

3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Got this alert from Dog Food Advisor, also. Yuck - those ears always looked so awful and greasy, I've never given them to my dogs. Thanks for posting this for everyone to see, Gloria.

Hanne likes this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I agree with Sharon, those things are disgusting! I'd rather give my guys a sweet potato chew than that!
    Thanks for posting Gloria!

Hanne likes this.
  5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    mine love sweet potato chews:yes:

6. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    In my desperate attempt to find a chew that Elise likes I bought one. I guess luckily she didn’t like it and I threw it away! lol

Calliesmom likes this.