Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Fear of foil !!!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Wendy C, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Every time I open the pantry and take out the foil wrap Cooper flies away like his tail is on fire. lol Today I decided to try and get him passed it and brought the box (Big Box size) and set it on the floor. He came back and sniffed the box so I opened the lid...no problem some sniffing. I ripped off a piece and placed it on the kitchen floor, well have mercy!! First he ran like the devil was behind him and came back spending 10 minutes barking at it and talking to it. Does anyone else have a Sheltie with the fear of foil??? lol The adventure continues.

2. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Nope but Spitfire goes on a bender any time I change the trash bag in the kitchen (among many other things he goes off about)

GlennR, Ann, RikyR and 2 others like this.
  3. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I feel your pain! There's no telling what will send Benson into a tailspin. It's like Whackamole, I get him over one thing and another crops up. Sometimes I think he's just using stuff as an excuse to bark and run outside.

GlennR, Sandy in CT, Ann and 2 others like this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    At one point Finnie had a fear of the sizzling noise when frying anything! Happened because one day I had something on element and went upstairs for a minute then had to rush back down (I got distracted...my bad). Ever since then he would run upstairs and hide anytime I was cooking. Got him over it by continually giving him treats anytime I was cooking (and preventing him from going upstairs initially). Took some time (couple weeks) but now he sticks around and doesn't try to run and hide.
    Of course all of them bark anytime I use food processor, kitchenaide or instant pot but that's not fear lol.

GlennR and Wendy C like this.
  5. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Zulu does the trash bag thing, and the other things too. Just an excuse to bark.

GlennR, Margi, Piper's mom and 2 others like this.
  6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    All of mine think it's necessary to attack the incoming trash bag, except for Flurry, who is afraid of plastic bags rattling! :uhoh: Foil is another trigger, but they bark at it, they're not afraid of it. I can't rip anything from the foil cabinet...wax paper, baggies...apparently that cabinet is full of doggie demons who must be slayed. It's a challenge. :rolleyes2:

Our biggest issue is our gas grill on the back deck, outside the kitchen. Flurry, for some unknown reason, is terrified of the smell of smoke, however slight. We have to close all the doors and windows. If something is smoking in the oven broiler she retreats upstairs and doesn't come down for hours until we air out the room. :eek2:

7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    mine think if there is foil or plastic wrap, then there must be food- preferably for them...............

GlennR, RikyR, Piper's mom and 3 others like this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Poor Liam, he is scared of just about everything...
    :hide

He was terrified of the outdoor blower. One day I just laid it down on the ground without turning it on. Beau walked up and sniffed it. Then Liam decided to try...
    After that day he was no longer fearful of it...

Now, the garbage bags MUST BE CONTROLLED... :gaah Beau starts barking and Liam joins in...

GlennR, Margi, Calliesmom and 4 others like this.
  9. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Foil, no, that's ridiculous. :) It's obvious that only parchment paper is suitable to bark at.

Sharon7, Margi, Ann and 6 others like this.
  10. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Haha, Shelby isn’t afraid of it but will bark like crazy, because foil will cause reflections. Every time I open the cabinet that it is in she comes running, barking, and wanting to attack whatever I am getting out. She’s a crazy girl

GlennR, Margi, Ann and 3 others like this.