Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Feb 2019 Nadac

Discussion in 'Agility' started by Calliesmom, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    so this trial was run in a different format than our previous Nadac trials. They have something called the double run format so you basically run the same course twice but we didn't have as many different classes per day. so essentially the ultimate in do-overs. I usually make the most mistakes with Destin so he was the only one that I really entered that way.
    On Friday, Jumpers was the only thing we entered. I ran Dixie in Elite Jumpers round 1.
    then Jocu was in Open Jumpers round 1 and we had a beautiful run.
    Destin was in Novice Jumpers and he ran in Round 1 and Round 2 so that I could possibly fix whatever problem we had in the first run. so of course we qualify the first run... so the second run, I just wanted to get a longer leadout- but he broke his stay so that run didn't count.

On Saturday, we only ran in Tunnelers- so as not to kill myself running all 4 twice, again Destin was the only one entered in both rounds. I tried to split them up so I could recover.....
    Cranberry was in Elite Tunnelers Round 1 and I'm still not sure why he didn't take the one tunnel...
    Dixie was in Elite Tunnelers Round 2
    Jocu was also in Elite Tunnelers Round 2
    Destin was in Open Tunnelers Round 1 and Round 2 and again he Qd on the first run and the second run.

Sunday was Weavers and Jumpers.
    We do Weavers for practice so I did enter both rounds for everybody. I chose not to run Destin in Weavers as we are reworking his weaves and we weren't where I wanted to be with that.
    So Cranberry was in Elite Weavers Round 1 and Round 2. He Qd the first run but not the second.
    Dixie was also in Elite Weavers Round 1 and Round 2 but she's been having weave issues and did not Q in either run.
    Jocu was in Open Weavers Round 1 and Round 2 and he had some issues as well so no Qs.
    we finished up with Dixie in Elite Jumpers and we dropped a bar on the line out because I ran like she was one of the bi boys instead of staying with her....
    Jocu in Open Jumpers and Destin in Novice Jumpers.
    It was a good weekend for Destin as he's struggled to Q with many wrong courses in our last few Nadac trials. It was kind of interesting to be able to try different handling options on the same course and same dog.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I'm always fascinated watching people do agility with their dogs as its so fast paced! I can just imagine the training that must go into all that!
    Congratulations on all your Q's, you and your dogs must've been exhausted after all that!
    How do you keep track of what your teaching (never mind having 4 different dogs entered...I'm forever calling Piper Finnie or vice versa :ROFLMAO:)...obedience, Rally AND agility...wow...good on you!

Calliesmom and ghggp like this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I agree, I certainly would have a hard time in agility! I am constantly amazed at how complex the courses are... let alone all the obstacles!!!!

These courses must be great for focusing on specifics like tunnels and weaves!

So impressed you have so many enrolled in competition! No grass growing under your feet

Calliesmom and Piper's mom like this.
  4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    actually from this trial, we weren't as bad as the regular trial- we would have run jumpers all 3 days with 3 dogs, tunnelers all 3 days with all the dogs and weavers 2 days with 3 dogs.
    it is challenging running 4 dogs in agility- and remembering what works for each. I am constantly struggling with that.
    obedience and rally- got to get the younger boys some more practice. Cran has spoiled me there, he's always ready to do that stuff and I forget how long it took to teach specific things like stand and walk around. they do all tie together- Destin got the sit walk around after we really started working his startline in agility. obedience and rally- very similar skills to teach.
    depending on what's coming up next, somebody is always getting shorted on the training side. all last year, Cran got all the rally time getting ready for the RNC. then Jocu was getting the agility time as we were working on his contacts so he could start competing in Standard. Dixie pretty much knows all the agility stuff and just needs regular maintenance which she doesn't always get. Destin has needed weave work for a couple years and we're just getting into that.
    some days, I do wonder how good we could be in a particular sport if we only did that one thing and I only worked one or two of the dogs.....
    we were watching some obedience one time and I said to my friend that I wondered where Cran could be if we practiced as much as "the Golden people" and I was told we'd be at Nationals.

"Golden people" are serious into obedience with their Golden Retrievers

ghggp likes this.
  5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    yes- the specifics are one of the reasons that we do those courses. no we don't stay still too much.
    the training takes a while and most places you can't start competing until the dog is 15-18 months old.
    The courses get more complicated as you move up to the higher levels and yes, we've all gotten lost on course. I try and look at the numbers to be sure I didn't skip anything. One of the more recent trials- might be one that I still have to post about, we had just done a little circle of jumps and Dixie was heading to the next jump - I looked back and then at that jump and told her - yes that is the next one- pretty sure I heard the judge agreeing and maybe even snickering.......
    it's all practice- if you were doing it all the time, then you would be able to do it. One of our club members is big on setting a course and not using numbers- making you run it from memory and multiple times walking it before you run it.

ghggp likes this.