Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Female Sheltie Losing Her Hair/What Do I Do??

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Alexs6447, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Alexs6447

Alexs6447 Forums Novice

Sep 13, 2017
    I have a 1 yr old Sheltie who seems to be losing more and more hair. I brush her regularly but she has no undercoat on her belly or sides. She has a big ruff and a fluffy backside but I find that she has very little hair everywhere else. Am I doing something wrong or is it just the time of year? I feel like she had more hair when she was younger.

She lives in an apartment but spends time outside? Is it just too warm? Her coat feels healthy but I dont know what's going on.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

2. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Welcome to the forum! Do you have any pictures that you can link us to? Is your girl spayed or intact? Has she been seen by your vet? What food and supplements do you feed? And how is her skin: dry, red, flaky or normal?

I have a female Sheltie who also lost a ton of fur and continues to lose fur. He fur loss started about 3 years ago. She has been tested for everything that typically causes fur loss: low thyroid, cushing’s disease, skin infections, etc. The only thing that is abnormal is her sex hormones, which she is being treated for. But unfortunately, she continues to lose fur. Thankfully, she is healthy otherwise and lives a normal doggie life, despite her appearance.

ghggp likes this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Hi and welcome to SN...if your girl isn't spayed then it's quite common for them to shed a lot more after a heat. Also, Shelties don't typically get their adult coat until around 3 years of age so your probably not doing anything wrong it just takes a while (my boy turns 3 in a month and he JUST got his adult coat a few months ago!).

4. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    When Minnie was about a year and it was summer - she started to shed
    keep up:gaah she started looking really horrible
    her ruff was spiky hair - I had to adjust it with a scissors - also her fluffy backside.
    Her coat gradually became fine and today she has a big nice coat :biggrin2:

5. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    Great your vet checked the thyroid, that is was caused problem for my girl. Your puppy is
    still young and her fur will pop. My Lucky had silky hair and not as thick as Lil' Lady. She has
    a full coat of coarse hair. Yep she is shedding right now. I brush her often. She had bald spots
    for awhile but from her thyroid but she is back to normal now.

6. Lexi

Lexi Forums Regular

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    I have a pomeranian who is loosing coat for some months, and I took him to the vet. They still need to rule out the adrenal glands but if they work ok our diagnose is alopecia x. And there is nothing to cure it. Poms are more prone to it, I don't know whats the case with Shelties