Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Fences

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Watson's Mom, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Premium Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    So I have a question about fences. Spurred what what seems like a fair number of posts of lost shelties who got out of their fenced in yard.

We’ve never had one with Watson he’s always been super chill and happy enough to walk on a leash. But, Roxy is f’ing nuts sometimes! Watson’s parents are actually in her lineage so I’m guessing one of his litter mates is a grand parent or something... I don’t really know how to read the pedigree but I’m hoping that her craziness is just being a puppy. I think living with two will be much nicer with a fence and I had a guy come today to start an estimate.

What kind of fences do you all have? I want to know what these dogs are escaping from but that’s kind of a rotten heartless thing to ask. I don’t want to drop all this coin and never want to let them out for fear of their escape.

2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Here in California, everyone has fenced or walled in backyards. We have a 7 foot concrete wall back and on one side, then a 7 foot wood fence on the other. I have never had one get over or under these, although most of the wood fence area had my roses and I have a 3 foot wire barrier around that to keep the dogs out of the plants. Elijah can actually jump that high but he hasn't tried it. Mine are not diggers either. Both side gates are locked as well.

It also keeps the wild critters mostly out although raccoons and possums can climb, but skunks cannot thank God.

3. jomuir

jomuir Premium Member

May 10, 2011
    detroit
    We have 2 kinds of fences in our small suburban Detroit yard. One side along next door neighbors house is 4 ft chain link. The other 2 sides, back and side to other NDN, are 6 ft wooden stockade. Then theres a 4 ft chain link gate out of the backyard/driveway.

We have a mini doxie so we put plastic mesh along the bottom and overlapping side of the gate or she could slip out. Otherwise we feel its secure for the sheltie and collie, unless one wanted to jump the chain link, which could happen but if it did the dog would be in NDNs fenced in yard so not on the street. But we always go outside with our dogs so I don’t think that would ever happen-fingers crossed.

In my area lost dogs are almost always lost bc someone left a fence gate open. I stalked the neighborhood once years ago and found the cable guy who left our gate open so our dog got out, we got her home right away. But boy did I read that guy the riot act. I was STEAMED lol.

Fences are no guarantee your dogs won’t get lost but if you watch them and they’re walked/exercised daily our experience has been the desire to roam is less. Neutering helps too of course.

Watson's Mom, Sharon7 and Ann like this.
  4. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Seven foot wood. I have no fear that Willow can get out unless the gate is left open. I'm considering a second gate right at the corner of the house so that I don't have to rely on service people and meter readers to do the right thing.

jomuir, Sharon7 and Watson's Mom like this.
  5. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    Right now I’m think we’ll end up with 6 foot vinyl. The planned gate is to be right near the house door. There is zero reason for any service people or meter readers to go through it. But, if they do- I guess I should be able to see if the gate has somehow been left open.

Sharon7 likes this.
  6. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    I have a 4 foot concrete wall with a 3 foot wooden fence built on top. Little Monty has had a good try at escaping but so far he is still my prisoner :lol:

Watson's Mom likes this.
  7. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    We were surprised to find the city had limits on fence heights and they must be tapered off as you approach the street. Our neighbors to right and left had fencing so we originally finished with 5ft chain link at back as Bailey had little interest in leaving.

Problem children to left of us had us install matching 6 ft privacy fence and wood gates on that side which tapers off as you approach street. That is biggest city allows.We still have chain link in back would have to remove trees to put in higher fence and trees act as deterrent from trying to go over fence you'd have to climb tree.

The height hasn't been an issue. We do need to make sure gates are secure.

The problem children have since moved. Current neighbor's dog does dig holes trying to get under fence from time to time.

Watson's Mom likes this.
  8. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    I’m not sure if Roxy is going to have the ambition to dig under a fence. She does so far seem as though she likes digging at the grass. But to tunnel? I’m not sure she’d be up for that kind of work.

I’m torn between a four foot picket and the six foot solid. She’s big enough now I don’t see her squeezing between the pickets. And I’m not terribly afraid of the wildlife.

9. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    If I'd had the money we'd have done the 6ft privacy the 1st time through. For our situation it was a much better option. Bailey has passed and it works for the 2 girls we have now as well. The chain link would have been a nightmare with these 2 poking their noses into it to see the neighbor's dog.

However, at the time the chain link was what we could afford and it allowed Bailey the freedom to roam the backyard at will which he loved. Without the problem children I'm not sure we'd have considered the higher privacy fencing until we had the girls. They are much better off not knowing what everyone's business is next door. They are very nosey.

Watson's Mom likes this.
  10. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    We are fortunate that our “privacy fence” between the neighbors in both sides are Norway spruces.

this is our yard right now.