Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Fencing

Discussion in 'Other Equipment' started by KarenW, Mar 9, 2014.

1. KarenW

KarenW Forums Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Il
    Looking into getting a fence for the back yard. Husband wants a rod iron with 4 inch slates. Do you think we need the puppy fencing in the bottom. Prancer is now 14 weeks. I'm afraid if we don't get it he will get thru...any opinions? People down the street have one thinking of trying to shove him thru...lol...only problem is I don't know these neighbors...might be kinda odd....

2. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
  3. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    anything under 2" I would not put past a sheltie escaping though. I had an expen the other day blocking off part of the yard there was a 4" gap under neath and one of my crazy girls (as I stood there watching her) threw her self underneath it to get to the other side. On my deck because its 15' up over the slats I have plastic lattice cut to size so that puppies cant go through and fall...I learned I needed this after I turned around one day and one of my puppies was standing behind me as he walked through the slats and down the stairs after me..thankfully he used the stairs:eek2:

4. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    I would agree with Lightplum that a 4" gap is a bit large. The building codes in many areas of the U.S. require the vertical slats of interior bannister/railing stair systems be no more than 4" apart. Those codes are designed to keep our human babies from getting their heads stuck in the railing systems. In some areas, the 4" maximum distance is also required in exterior vertical patio and deck railing systems for the same reason. I would think a Sheltie pup would generate the same concern.

Even if your puppy can only get his head (but not his body) through the fence, sooner or later as he grows he will likely get his head through, but not back out. Time to take the fence apart to extricate him.

5. KarenW

KarenW Forums Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Il
    Thanks ..ok heres is another option four inch slats with a puppy fencing at bottom that goes up 1 foot 4 inches. What's your opinion on this? Is that going to be tall enough at bottom.?
    I liked the option of the rabbit fencing, husband disagreed.

6. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    Not if your puppy has any prey drive! We lined our post and rail agility paddock fencing with a 2" wire mesh (usually purchased for emu) I know when Tinsel came, our coordinator was concerned about a gap about 3 feet up where the post for the temporary fencing was out about 4". Her concern was that a dog that is either frightened or chasing will often go up and through gaps.

7. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    I don't know what puppy fence looks like so my concern might be unwarranted. But, assuming that the upper edge of the puppy fence is gagged, I would be concerned if your pet can somehow get up high enough to impact the upper edge of the puppy fence between the slats. Even if he couldn't actually get out, if he could get a body part high enough to drag across that gagged edge, resulting injuries could be severe.

8. Lunatic59

Lunatic59 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I think we have the style of fence you are talking about.

Here's a picture showing the corner of the yard by the driveway.

Fence Photo (with puppy)

And another

Our boys could squeeze through the slats when we first brought them home so along the side that borders the neighbors property I used zip ties to attach a 12" rabbit fence (dark green) and along the driveway I took some dark twine and interlaced it through the slats. Because the rabbit fencing was dark and the cord was dark it pretty much disappears.

By the time they were 6 months old, we could take it all down because they couldn't fit through any more. BTW, these pictures do have the fence/cord in them.

9. KarenW

KarenW Forums Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Il
    Thanks your right I don't even see it..thanks for the pics, cute pups by the way.

10. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    We have a vinyl fence and I think our slats are about the same distance apart. When Shelby was a pup she could squeeze her head through but that didn't last long. Now she can not fit any body parts through.

I do like the spacing because it is a little easier for the rabbits to get out when Shelby chases them. They don't always get out fast enough but if the slats were closer I think she would catch a lot more bunnies.