Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Ferrets and shelties

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Akferretgal, Sep 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Akferretgal

Akferretgal Forums Novice

Sep 19, 2019
    Wanting to hear from ferret owners and their thoughts experiences with shelties. Wondering if shelties as breed are better with ferrets then other dog breeds. In the long future considering Sheltie pup and anticipate slow intttroduction and monitored play with my 2 yr old ferret pair. The ferret gal is alpha male ferret mellow

2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I have never owned a ferret, but most Shelties are great with smaller animals. I've had my Shelties with kitties and bunnies with no issue.

ghggp likes this.
  3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    We had Chinchillas. Beckon love to play with them.

ghggp likes this.
  4. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    I think it depends on your pup and if they were raised with them. I know for a fact Shelby would not do well with a small animal or even a cat. She wouldn’t harm it on purpose. But she would want to chase and play with it. She had caught rabbits and mice in the past. I honestly thinks she likes the way they “squeak “ when she grabs them. She thinks they are a squeaky toy.

5. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Personally, I would never expose Minnie to a Ferrets,
    it is too small and fast, her hunting instinct would take over
    and she would constantly be in a stress situation :uhoh:

6. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    My son had a ferret here. This ferret was sweet but he loved to be entertained. He reminded me
    of a puppy. The worst thing that happened was when the ferret went into the inside on the
    back of a couch. He loved to try to take a poo in the corner of a room. We didn't have a sheltie
    at the time. I think the personality of each sheltie is different and would handle the ferret in
    different ways. A ferret would not have worked here with Lucky and Lil' Lady.

Hanne likes this.