Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Finally!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by trini, May 14, 2021.

1. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Laddie now invites me to play ball with him and has started to actually bring the ball back when I throw it rather than just race after it, jump over it and then do multiple zoomies around the yard while the ball remains where it first landed. Once he has had enough ball fetching he takes the ball and hides it in a hole he has dug under the back porch and then stands guard so I can't get the ball...that is his signal that play time is over. Obviously I am not the one setting the game rules here!
    Trini
    IMG_2126.JPG IMG_2125 (2).JPG IMG_2128.JPG

Darren, Piper's mom, ghggp and 10 others like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Gosh this is a funny story! Fetching is such a good way to wear them out - we do it down our hallway here. I cracked up at the last photo, clearly stating Nope playtime is OVER. He is a real character, Trini. And getting a lovely coat too.

Darren, Piper's mom, ghggp and 3 others like this.
  3. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    He's adorable!
    Fil will come halfway back and just lay down with the ball between his paws--that's the I'm done signal.
    Don't think Benson ever tired out yet...

Darren, Piper's mom, ghggp and 4 others like this.
  4. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    So if you want to train him for a reason other than fun attempt to stop before he does. In flyball a big training rule was end on success.

Darren, Piper's mom, ghggp and 5 others like this.
  5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    What great pics of Laddie!!! Love that he dug a hole! Haha! You can't make this stuff up with shelties!!!

Darren, Piper's mom, ghggp and 2 others like this.
  6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Too funny! Hilarious that he ends the game. Ours just drift off and go lay on the deck when they’re done until Sprite is the last one playing. She will go till I drop...no one has ever worn her out!

Darren, Sandy in CT, Sharon7 and 3 others like this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Sly little lad! Hey, my rules!
    He is so cute! Good boy, Laddie for returning those balls to mom!

Darren, trini, Sandy in CT and 2 others like this.
  8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    What a cutie Laddie is! So sweet that he’s bringing the ball back...until he’s had enough that is lol!
    Smart boy to dig a hole to hide the ball:lol:!
    Finnie LOVES to play fetch but the boy has no off switch! There is no end until I end it lol and sometimes it might not be until I’ve thrown it 30 or 40 times!

Darren, trini, Sharon7 and 1 other person like this.
  9. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    My Sketchie was like your Finnie. Even after Sketchie lost a rear leg to cancer he would play until I called it quits because my arm was getting too tired! I doubt Laddie will ever be much of a ball freak...or anything else freak...he just doesn't have that kind of focus. Laddie is a good boy, not a mean bone in his body, but he really is a doofus at times.
    Trini

Darren, Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.
  10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Just like Finnie...I tell people he’s a lover, not a fighter lol even though he’s got a loud bark. We call him the big kid haha.

trini, Darren and Sharon7 like this.