Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Finnie is finally better!

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Piper's mom, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Its been a good 2 weeks at least since I've see no Finnie yelp or lift his paw so fingers crossed :fl I think he's finally over this. I need to get him out for walks now to rebuild the muscles (we're in a warm spell right now but my 91 year old mother has been sick so that's taken priority). He still won't do the outside steps or jump on the bed and I told him his days of me carrying him up the stairs are numbered as my back and neck just can't handle a 27 pound dog lol. He's a sweetheart who try's to help by doing a little jump as I pick him up...little does he know it makes me hurt more lol!
    We're one week from his 2 year old Birthday so it can't come at a better time!
    Going to have to bake him a special treat this weekend for next Friday.

2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Really glad to hear this progress report! Hope Finnie is back to completely normal soon - yep carrying a medium size dog around IS hard on your back/neck/shoulders. We were beyond grateful for the loan of the stroller for Brooke partly for that reason.

ghggp likes this.
  3. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    That's Good News! Fil does that kinda try to help you hop sometimes.
    I'm on bake patrol for Fil's birthday Saturday--gonna try banana/peanut butter pupcakes this year I think.

Sharon7, ghggp and Hanne like this.
  4. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Lisa - thanks for the update let's hope Finnie is on the right track :fl

ghggp likes this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Wooohooo!
    Outstanding news, Lisa!

Ok, Finnie, now meet your mom half way and start doing stairs on your own.

I hope the weather stays warmer so you can both get back to normal.

Hope your mom gets better soon. At her age any illness is concerning. Thanks for the update!

6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Thank you everyone. This has been really hard on Finnie emotionally, he's always been incredibly sensitive and it seems he's changed a bit since having this issue. Much like people, some have a high tolerance for pain and others don't I believe dogs are much the same. Finnie must have a low threshold for pain and so now he won't run in the yard, he really doesn't want to play with Piper the way they did before and no zoomies at all really (he did start a bit a few days ago doing a bit of zoomies in the house). When Piper had hurt his shoulder and was limping for almost 2 months it didn't affect him at all emotionally, he was the same dog after he healed as he was before the injury. Finnie is incredibly clingy to me, will play with toys with me but not Piper and will cuddle with me but not Piper.
    I love the closeness as it was something that was missing before, he's really bonded to me like never before (he used to hate being picked up but now he waits for it) but I want him to be the boy he was before with Piper. I'm sure he'll get there, in time.

Sharon7 and Hanne like this.
  7. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    When Sca was all out of joint he lost over a second in flyball (how I found out) After he got back in it took 6 months to gain it all back. Just a little at a time until he was back.

8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Interesting. I know with Finnie it's going to be a long time before he's doing any jumps or recall (it was more of an issue when he'd push off). The stairs are a psychological issue as he'll do the 14 steps to 2nd floor no problem at all. He's going to have to rebuild the muscle he lost and that will take time. Piper took several months before he was back in top shape.

Hanne likes this.
  9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Since mid December when Finnie hurt himself he hasn't jumped on the bed (I got him to jump to a bench and then the bed once but he wouldn't do it again)...almost 2 months! Tonight first time, second, third and 4th...jumped on the bed on his own (I did call him up)!!!
    Piper quite liked this game too...Ooohhhh I get a treat just for jumping on the bed??? Sign me up!!!
    Finnie got lots of treats and was oh so proud of himself (as was I). He still needs to build up his confidence again...it's almost like he's expecting his leg to hurt him when he jumps. On the plus side as well is that he tried to initiate play with Piper today, it's been 2 months since he played with him!
    I was definitely doing a happy dance tonight!

Calliesmom likes this.
  10. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Lisa -It was really good news :yes:
    It can hardly get any better than when
    our little friends can trigger a happy dance :biggrin2:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Piper's mom likes this.