Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Finnie obedience update

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by Piper's mom, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    So we've attended 2 classes so far and I'm so very impressed with Finnie. I get fantastic focus with him when we're on the floor working, he totally pays zero attention to the other dogs. Our instructor actually let us do a formal recall last night (helps being so advanced in a beginner class) and Finnie did superb...came in fast but straightened out at the end.
    I'm just amazed at how much better he is when Piper isn't around however when we have to sit and wait for instructions for the next exercise we'll be doing he whines! And whines and whines!!

I think he's so excited about working that he can't hold back his enthusiasm! I'm so happy I picked Finnie (there were 2 males in his litter), his enthusiasm for doing obedience is outstanding (as a pup he was the one that was always picking something up and carrying it)

I'm probably going to enter him in Rally starting in end of June (I'm not entering him in obedience until he knows everything from novice to Utility), I just have to work on his heeling...I can get 3 steps and then he starts to forge. I'm hoping there'll be another match that will allow me to at least get him in the ring to practice...show season is coming!

2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Sounds like Finnie is a natural. You are going to be one busy lady with the two boys!! Eli went nuts watching agility practice the other day (Faith is the only one who does it currently), so I think I may have to get him to a class this summer.

ghggp, Piper's mom and Calliesmom like this.
  3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    my turn, me, me, me- very familiar with that:winkgrin:
    solo time is the best time:yes:

Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.
  4. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Totally :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:!

At first I thought it was anxiety but nope...its anticipation!
    Let's go let's go...now now now...:ROFLMAO:

Calliesmom likes this.
  5. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I can imagine that just watching them running dogs would get Eli worked up!
    When Finnie watches other dogs do recall he stands up and watches so intently! He loves it (I think it's their favourite part of obedience lol).

Calliesmom likes this.
  6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    "he whines! And whines and whines!!"

Yep, Liam and Finnie are definitely related when it comes to that trait!

Calliesmom and Piper's mom like this.
  7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    whining is better than barking.......
    training- they watch the other dog working and lose their minds until it's their turn.
    at the trial- they are in crates and covered until it's their turn so they don't lose their minds.......

Piper's mom likes this.
  8. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Your quite right Calliesmom! And fortunately Finnie is quiet in his crate...no whining there!

9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I had concerns about the bi boys- when they were younger they made noise in their crates but now they are as quiet in their crates as the brown dogs (at least at trials....)

Piper's mom likes this.
  10. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Well one more class to go and Finnie has done so well! He's really gained a lot of confidence.
    Yesterday at class doing the stay's Finnie was the only one who didn't break and with all the commotion of the dogs breaking and the owners noises trying to get them back down was almost laughable but he stayed. Then to prove a point to the class that if they work on them they're dogs will stay she had me put Finnie in a sit stay and then a down stay between her two Rottie's (damn good thing he listened! Lol)
    I'm finding in our regular private class his heeling has improved so much...this week we started on Rally and we managed to do almost the entire course without a correction...he still wants to forge but still a considerable improvement. I've also entered him in a trial (pre novice) but really just for the ring experience...I figure I'd have to enter him exhibition only anyway so why not spend the extra 18$ and get him in the ring.
    I've been thinking about taking the next class (level 2) but as much as it would be good for Finnie this instructor really gets on my nerves...she insists I hold the leash in my right hand but I ALWAYS hold it in my left (it's your choice in a ring and I find I get a lag right at the start if I hold it in my right) plus I can't correct if he forges and timing is everything on a correction and with it in my right hand I'm missing it. I don't know if she's worried others will question why I do it differently or what but really...I don't think they'd notice!
    At least the weather is improving here so I can get Finnie out to more places because really, it's the distractions I'm working on anyways. All in all though I'm very proud of how far my boy has come in just 6 weeks...just goes to show you should never give up on training even if your having issues with their behaviour, keep finding a way to help them!
    Today we're going to a local hardware store (not a lot of stores here that allow dogs...not even Lowes or Home Depot allow them...stupid! My dogs are wayyy better behaved than most kids) and I'm going to work on his stay's near the doors and then do heeling in the store (they know me here, if I did this at Petsmart they'd probably kick me out...they don't like you working your dog in the store...they're afraid your trying to steal obedience students lol!)
    On a side note I'm finally having success with Finnie and his bell! I'd been having issues with it (gotta be the HARDEST thing to teach a Sheltie!) but he's now at the point that if I hold one end up off the floor (with other end on floor) he's picking it up consistently. I don't think he knew HOW to pick it up off the floor so he was mouthing it. I'm hoping by the end of the week I can get him to take it directly off the floor! The most rewarding thing about training dogs is when you open yourself up to change...if one thing doesn't work, try a different method....don't keep pounding the same way if it's not working. If you keep your patience and your mind open to change your dog will thank you!