Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Finnie

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Piper's mom, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Well it's hard to believe that Finnie is already 7 1/2 months old! That frustrating housebreaking period has just flown by (he still has the odd accident but it's very rare).
    Finnie is such a different dog than Piper...very independent, afraid of (almost) nothing and very mature for his age compared to how Piper was at this age and very toy oriented...always has a toy in his mouth:yuckyuck.
    His one fear of course is being placed on the grooming table but seeing as how he is already 16" tall that will probably be a non issue as he's going to go over (odds are he's got a bit more growing to do). I am fine with that as I really do prefer obedience (it would've been nice to show him, he really is a beautiful boy but oh well...).
    He's coming along nicely with his obedience, we're currently in a class with our trainer but it's more for the distractions of the other dogs...we'll probably start private training in a couple months. My goal is to have him ready to do Rally in the spring and his obedience shortly after (he's a very smart boy).
    Of course it goes without saying that I now have 2 shadows...Piper and Finnie follow me EVERYWHERE, actually Finnie is more likely to look for me before Piper does, I think Piper knows I'm around and if he's comfy he figures 'meh...I'll find you later':ROFLMAO:
    P.S. You can see in the pictures the size difference...Finnie is much taller and longer than Piper!

Sharon7, SheepOfBlue, Hanne and 5 others like this.
  2. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018
    He's really nice looking!

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    You just never know what size they'll be...Finnie was the smallest pup when born and was exactly 10" at 10 weeks and now 16" lol!

4. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    He's so handsome! And I'm happy to hear he's such a happy, confident guy! Any chance he might settle back around 16"? In some lines I know that does happen.

How tall is Piper? He does look much smaller! :)

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Finnie really is handsome, but he is a big boy! Those are always the ones that go over 16". It's lucky that you have a Rally/Obedience career in mind for him. Piper is gorgeous too! You really can see the difference in their sizes in the photo!

Piper's mom likes this.
  6. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Anything is possible of course size wise but of course it depends on how much more he grows lol. Piper is a very petite 13 3/4"...I love his size, very portable lol, I can just pick him up like nothing (and because of this he loves being carried). I jokingly say I have three sizes, small (Piper 13 3/4), medium (Finnie 16) and large (Riley 19") lol.
    After saying Finnie is pretty much housebroken he peed on my bed this morning:gaah....my fault for not taking him out first thing this morning! I was across the hall enjoying my coffee when Finnie barked and then came running to me. He proceeded to piddle on my foot and then jumped up onto the leather chair beside me, just shaking like a leaf...I was in shock:ROFLMAO:. I quickly tried to settle him down and then started to head downstairs to take him out when I thought to check the bed...he did pee on it a little bit (through the memory foam but not the mattress), I think he realized what he did and jumped off. He proceeded to pee on the floor (buckets lol) while I tried to soak up the urine on my bed. Tomorrow first thing he goes out, THEN I can enjoy my coffee lol, much less work than changing and washing the sheets (lucky he didn't pee where the duvet was).

7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Forums Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    They are both so handsome, Piper in a small compact package and Finnie much rangier - he's in his coyote stage right now! I think Eli had grown a bit since he's been here - may be my imagination since he is getting more hair, too, but he just seems BIG. I need to try and measure but he may be over 17 " now. Oh well, just more to love, right?

Sorry your morning got off to such a ruff start!!

Piper's mom likes this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Wow, Finnie looks like he has all his adult teeth already! He sure has outpaced Piper in the size department! I love it, you have small, medium, and large!
    Finnie looks so pretty with his coat getting longer and more sheltie like! Liam is still in that total coyote stage! Good thing he is bold! Liam is rather fearful still.
    Looks like Piper and Finnie are best buddies! Thanks for sharing the great pictures...

In the last shot, it looks like you are not bracing by just tipping. Is that correct?
    Love his red coat!

Piper's mom likes this.
  9. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    That's just Finnie being inventive lol...he got one side of the brace out (broke the tape somehow) so I just cut it as the tape for the ears is still in good. Piper had been afraid of everything too when he was Liam's age, I had to give him a little shake every now and then (with Piper he'd bark at everything on a walk...not scared shaking but barking), Finnie was fearful of some things but got more confident as he was around them more, not a barker like Piper was (vehicle noises and strangers).
    Piper and Finnie are buddies, Piper still needs a break but he loves Finnie.

10. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Handsome happy boy!!