Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Finnie's leg again...

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Piper's mom, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Finnie is doing it again...ran up the stairs outside and lifted his leg again! He did it a few days ago too after jumping on the bed but no yelp then past 2 days he's jumped up on my lap quite suddenly (shortly after I'd come home from work) with no issues so I thought perhaps it was just a fluke but today he held his leg up for at least a minute so clearly he's hurting. It's just so random, it baffles me.
    I did another check of his paw and leg and he does seem to be bothered when I do range of motion in his hock area and wants to pull his leg back...it also seems warm in that area while the other leg the hock area is cool.
    I've made an appointment for next Tuesday with our vet and I'm going to insist we X-ray that area...there must be something wrong there, only appears to bother him when he pushes off or jumps.

Sandy in CT likes this.
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    So sorry to hear this. It's very frustrating when we know something is wrong but can't figure out what. I hope your vet can find the reason and get Finnie on the road back to soundness!

3. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    Argh it's like Ann has said, it has to be the hardest thing when you know they are hurting but you just can't fix it. I'm sorry to hear you are going through this again and I hope you manage to find out what it is so Finnie can get back to normal.

ghggp, Ann and Piper's mom like this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    As do I Ann! I knew something was off this past Monday when we attended our Rally class and mat time. This is the same building where he'd initially hurt himself...he wouldn't play (took me forever to engage him) carried his tail low and wouldn't listen when I told him to wait or stay. And yet when we were leaving he was his usual exuberant self. He's like jeckle and Hyde ...so frustrating!

Ann and Darren like this.
  5. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Ah damn!

Darren and Piper's mom like this.
  6. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Poor Finnie
    yes so frustrating for you too lisa :fl

ghggp, Darren and Piper's mom like this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Looking into this I really think it's a sprain to his hock. I don't know why it never occurred to me before but I looked up braces and lo and behold they do make braces for the hock!
    It makes sense to me that it's the hock and why it's so random...if he turns his leg going up stairs he feels it, pushing off same thing.
    I'm going to measure him tomorrow and order one from Back On Track. Plus they partner with the CKC so it's cheaper. We'll still have our appointment on Tuesday but I don't think we'll do an X-ray as it won't show soft tissue. Seriously, my dogs have more gear than I do!

Darren, ghggp, Hanne and 1 other person like this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I certainly hope you get to the bottom of the issue to resolve it sooner than later! Absolutely nothing worse than not knowing!

I know the X-ray will not show soft tissue injuries. But, what if it just a small bone chip? I guess since he is at the vet anyway I would have one done if nothing else than to rule out an issue!

Darren and Piper's mom like this.
  9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I'll certainly talk to the vet and see what she says after she examines his leg.
    I ordered this hock brace
    https://shop.ckc.ca/canadiankennelclub/product/BOT-37
    After my CKC discount it was 51$ with tax for 2 braces(I'll have a spare if I need to wash it). Anytime you can save money on dog related stuff it's a good thing!

Darren likes this.
  10. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    I have tried all sorts of braces for Gavin to no avail. Granted, there is no brace for an iliopsoas strain, but I was hoping it was something else especially after the vet said it had 'healed'..
    I always made sure to pay attention to return policies nad restocking fees.

old fashioned vet tape can provide some support as well to test out your theory.

Piper's mom and Darren like this.