Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

First Rally-O and First Intro to Agility

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sandy in CT, Sep 11, 2019 at 3:54 PM.

1. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Last night we had our first Rally-O class and today we had our first intro to agility. I will definitely finish both classes, but see right away where they might be a bit of a learning curve - sides are different for starters so I have to teach him heel is one side and side is the other and of course, he has to teach me as well!

He has no issues, me I feel like I have 5 left feet.

Rally-O went went, lots of new words, he did everything spot on but gave me grief again on down - simply would not do it - not for me, not for the trainer - he holds out for a treat so we have lots of homework for this week all focused on down. Since there are so few of us, trainer is offering AKC Novice Trick Dog testing at the end of our series. Brodie has 4 down; fetch, touch left, touch right, high five. he can also do all the CGC commands (except down!) so the Novice level only means 5 needed. He does jump - but he is not supposed to so we have a new trick to learn for that title.

Agility was this morning - he is snoozing off his excitement. We've have a tunnel since we brought him home and he understands the commands 'tunnel' so he went crazy every time the word was said. He obviously loved it. High energy, he could barely contain himself watching other dogs. There were 4 in our class and we are the only novice ones. He did the low jumps just fine, was very suspicious of the weave - he's never liked things like a wall or anything close to him but will come in time. He did the plank walking on the dog walk and even sat on the end but required a few treats at first to touch it = don't think he liked the textured surface. The other dogs, knowing what they were doing got to go 3 times and do 2 rounds each time with the course a bit different each time - two dogs are off leash, one is on. One of the off leash dogs is a border collie and man, oh man, is she fast! And she loves it, sits at the wait and her whole body is trembling wanting to hear she can start. The other off leash dog does everything perfect - but he takes his dear old time once he hits the weave and had to stop and make sure folks were watching him to do it. On our times, the course got split into 3rds and we practiced those sections a number of times over nad over after she explained where I should be, where he should be.

I definitely saw more excitement in him over the agility and he's very high energy so it was good for him and will def be a way to burn off some energy in the yard once I get some equipment built - before winter sets in. He does work very well with me though in the Rally and he's so spot on with obedience right now (except for down!) that it was the easier of the two.

ghggp, Hanne, KarenCurtis and 4 others like this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Good for you to be doing Rally AND Agility! I'm sure you guys will do great. I'm doing Rally (competitively) with Piper and Finnie...it's a great training tool because you can talk to your dog in the ring. My guys love it.

ghggp, KarenCurtis, Ann and 2 others like this.
  3. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Minnie loves the tunnel! She is learning to wait her turn watching the other dogs. All of them are off leash and we're all on the same level. I never thought I could control a dog off leash like this! It's amazing they learn to do the agility course so fast! I'm glad you liked it too.

ghggp, Ann, Hanne and 2 others like this.
  4. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I'm so excited for you both! Beckon loved Rally class, but competitions unnerved him, so we stopped after Advanced. I'm so proud of his ribbons!

KarenCurtis, Ann, ghggp and 1 other person like this.