Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

First time at groomer - suggestions on what to say to groomer?

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by k9kreationz, Jun 14, 2018.

1. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Premium Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Hi all,

I've never ever taken my dogs to a groomer - seen way too many horror stories, but I'm being lazy and figured I'd send them to this lady that has been cutting my Weim's nails. You can tell she really loves dogs and want what is best for them. Doesn't mean she's good, but I'm going to try.....

Any suggestions on what to tell her?

I'm going to tell her to trim their hair, sanitary cut, and then I was going to say with Koji's prick ears, don't cut the hair too short. I don't want to tell her what to do, but I'm soooo scared!

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Feel free to tell her what to do!!!!!!!! My girls go to an incredible groomer now BUT their previous groomer (who btw had a ton of experience) decided to shave BOTH of the girls' bellies!!!!!!! So now, I tell the groomer EVERY SINGLE TIME exactly what I want - even though I know the groomer they go to now was horrified when I told her what happened at the previous groomer and would never in a million years shave a sheltie. But I tell her exactly what I want every single time - just in case. In the end, you are paying for a service and have the right to specify what you want.

Jams and k9kreationz like this.
  3. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR

I honestly don't even know what to tell her. I mean, can I just give her the Sheltie Grooming Guide instead? LOL. Shaved belly isn't too bad, IMHO, but not if you didn't want it shaved!

4. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Actually, shaved belly is terrible. I was furious. It will literally take close to a year for that hair to grow back in fully!!!!! Plus, when it happened - I had signed up for an agility handling camp and the low temps were in the 30s. So yeah, having my dogs out in that without protection was very bad.

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    find some pix that you can take with you- either of your dogs when you had groomed them the way that you want or other shelties that you like how they look.....
    might be tough though- not a lot of sheltie pix on the internet:winkgrin:

ghggp likes this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I'd be VERY specific and write it down and go over it with her when you go. Shelties require very little cutting, just fur between pads, ears, hocks and any other little bits you want trimmed. I find some groomers are scissor happy perhaps because they think a Sheltie needs more cutting than is necessary.

7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    This is exactly what I was going to recommend! In these days of smart phones everyone must have tons of photos of their dogs... especially when they looked their best! If you don’t have that... yes, browse the internet!

If you don’t tell her exactly what you are looking for you might get the surprise of your and your dogs life!!!
    Be very specific...

Go to Google Images and search for Shelties... there are tons of images there!

In the end, if you like what she does... take pictures for your own records!

Good luck and be sure to post the photos!

Go conservative at first... Tell her what you want!
    It’s your money and dog!

Hanne likes this.
  8. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Okay, sooooo..........I totally didn't have time to do any of this. The mos I said was "trim, sanitary cut, and don't go crazy on Koji's ears since they're prick". Here's what I got: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4tlii8on7mfe3wb/AACL-n5e9CezGLG2X2X7mvIUa?dl=0

ETA: ignore the video, that was taken awhile back, but I don't feel like moving it. :) Just enjoy doggos running around.

Honestly, she didn't do too much, which I'd rather have for a first time. She trimmed them up nicely. Their feet look good (long nails are the reason they look weird - working on that - the nails, that is). She let BF know she kinda "ooops'd" on Koji's belly because she was cleaning up around his boy parts and went a bit too wild, so she apologized on that. Their pants are intact as is their hocks. I think one pic of Vogue looks like her fur is cut on her belly, but it's not (I think it was the wind). She didn't clear up her ears as much as I had hoped, but again, I'm glad for the "less is more" approach and maybe next time I'll have her groom the ears as they should be (maybe I'll just have BF give her a copy of ear page in the Sheltie Grooming book).

Since this is the first time I have EVER let a groomer touch any of my dogs (Miko included), I'm happy with her work considering I'm one of those crazy dog parents who don't want their Sheltie chopped (not really crazy, but we all know how we can be). And OMG, it's so hot right now, it was perfect timing because their undercoats have been stripped out, they probably feel sooooooo good. That was the main reason I sent them off.

On the up/down side, Maddie (the Weim), went along for the ride. BF said she stepped into the place, and then immediately pulled to go back out. It probably reminded her of the vet and last time she went to the vet, she was spayed, then had a donut put on her. Poor thing. BF handled it great, didn't force her, and allowed her to find her happy place before doing anything more. I feel horrible though that she is scared of the vet/any dog smelling place. The up side, and point of this paragraph, is that the groomer comes to our house to cut Maddie's nails (I'm still kinda freaked out about BIG dog nails) and is willing to do more if needed. Especially since I have a grooming table now. :)

9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    well, if you're happy with the results, then it was a good experience......

10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Agree, that’s all that matters. Best to go conservative rather than the potential alternative. ;)