Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Flea and tick prevention

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by dream2012, Nov 13, 2018.

1. dream2012

dream2012 Forums Regular

Jun 27, 2015
    Coastal area
    I'm interested in what many of you use for flea and tick prevention. I started using Frontline last year April through November and it has worked effectively. I've used it in previous Shelties without an issue. Now, my vet wants me to use Simparica. What flea and tick med has been found to be the safest for shelties? I remember Heartguard was not to be used years ago. With Simparica relatively new to the market, there are no long term studies and that concerns me but there are plenty of dogs adversely affected by this new drug. I really wish there were a safer alternative but living in a tic infested area and plenty of wildlife, including deer, I feel I don't have an option.

Thank you.

2. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Personally, I feel: If it's not broke, don't fix it. I use a natural cedar oil spray called Wondercide because my dog has a history of neurological episodes. I have to spray it every few days, but it seems to work for us.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Caro likes this.
  3. dream2012

dream2012 Forums Regular

Jun 27, 2015
    Coastal area
    Thanks! Do you live in an area with deer and wildlife?

4. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Both of my dogs are on simparica and have had absolutely no issues with it.

5. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    The last several years, I have had deer approach my backyard fence weekly. But technically I do live in a more city-like location, so not as much wildlife as more suburban areas.

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I agree, if Frontline is working why switch. I tried Simparaca last month, Deska had really, really bad diarrhea for several days, Tully had some diarrhea for a day. Obviously it was causing stress on Mr D's tummy so I won't ever use it again. We switched back to Frontline after being off it for a while when it wasn't working. They are both doing fine on it and it's working again so I'll be sticking to Frontline.

7. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    It's funny how different dogs react differently to different products (can I use the word "different" one more time?). Spirit had a terrible reaction to a topical flea prevention (I don't remember which one but I think it was Frontline). But she's fine on Simparica. So really, if the Frontline is working with no issues, I don't see any reason to switch.

8. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    We have been using Simperica with no issues. Frontline didn’t seem to be working well for the tics anymore. We live rural with a lot of wildlife walking through. I heave not found a tic imbedded in her since we started using it. On Frontline we were finding them almost daily.

9. dream2012

dream2012 Forums Regular

Jun 27, 2015
    Coastal area
    Thanks, everyone! I think I will stick with Frontline since it is working. My vet wants our dog on it year-round, but once the temps drop and the ground freezes, i see no reason to use it. Have not found a tick on Jax since being on Frontline. Fleas have never been an issue. It is interesting how these products affect our shelties differently.

10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    That's surprising if you get freezing weather in winter to keep using it, don't they need a certain ground temp for tick eggs to hatch? We have paralysis ticks in Aust, but where I live we get below zero temps so the ticks aren't an issue in winter, neither are the fleas.