Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Floppy ears or pointy?

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by kayla, Apr 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. kayla

kayla Forums Regular

Aug 1, 2017
    i originally loved shelties for the cute flopped ear style and I bought adhesive skin glue to glue my shelties ears but I’m so conflicted cause she’s soooo cute with pointy ears she looks like a fox. The problem is she’s ganna be cute no matter what as a puppy I just can’t foresee her as an adult wheather point would still be cute on her or if I’d prefer floppy ears but at that point it’d be too late to train her ears I think

Ps I don’t know how to post media on here but you can see my baby on Instagram @YukiTheShetie

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    The tipped ear is the correct Sheltie look. That said, I have five. One is a prick-ear, two tipped naturally, and one we glued. Layla, our prick ear, was my first Sheltie, and I didn't know squat. While I can't imagine her nay other way, from now on, I will always glue.

Margi likes this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Whatever appeals to you is just fine. Chris is right; the tipped ear is the correct look for Shelties. But that's been pretty much bred out of the breed over the years, and very few come by it naturally now. We train ears from 6 weeks of age until one year to achieve it. I know many Shelties whose ears don't tip though, and they are no less loved! :love:

JacqueZ, ghggp and Hanne like this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I have always loved the look of the tipped ear Shelties! My Logan had naturally tipped ears. Most of my rescues came with tipped ears! When we adopted little Jasmine she had pricked ears. They looked perfect with her little face! My new 40lb tri Sheltie boy came with pricked ears. It was his temperament and loving nature that won me over.
    That said, I agree with Ann that no matter what the ear set... they are loved and adored!
    On a funny side note, I asked my old retired vet if I could try and tip my four year old tri males ears. His response was, the ship has sailed! He always had such a dry sense of humor!

JacqueZ and Jams like this.
  5. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    I personally love the prick ears, and couldn't imagine Honey any other way. She looks so bright and attentive when she's smiling up at me. When we first got her I thought about training the ears, but there were all these stories of the ears tearing, and the dogs being scared of having their ears touched after it, I changed my mind. I know when done properly it's completely safe, but I had no confidence in being able to do it myself.

ghggp and Hanne like this.
  6. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Oberon has prick ears. We like them because, as said above, he looks more attentive. He also is very expressive with his ears, so for us training his ears would have taken away one of his means of communication. Sometimes he "folds" one ear as if it were tipped, though.

ghggp, Hanne and JacqueZ like this.
  7. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Shelby has prick ears too, and I couldn’t imagine her without them. While I do love the tipped ears it just was something I knew I couldn’t do. So we decided to let her ears be however they naturally turned out to be. Like above she also is extremely expressive with those ears.

8. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Spirit's ears have been prick since I met her, at 3 weeks of age. Skylar's were tipped (naturally) until she was about 5 months old, then one stood up, then the other. Personally, I think all shelties are beautiful regardless of what their ears are doing :)