Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Flu Warning: West Coast Dogs

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Ann, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    This came specifically from California, but this illness spreads rapidly, so it may move across the country soon.

Current Outbreak of Canine Influenza H3N2 cases in Los Angeles County
    July - October 2021 - Outbreak in dogs throughout Los Angeles County
    Between July and October 2021, approximately 800 confirmed and suspect cases of CIV H3N2 in dogs in LA County have been reported to Veterinary Public Health. Sadly, 7 deaths in dogs have been associated with this outbreak. Of the cases reported, most were associated with attending boarding kennels or dog daycare settings. There are a number of cases that have never visited a boarding or daycare facility, but were exposed while on walks in their neighborhood, at dog parks, groomers, or at veterinary clinics. This virus has spread rapidly among dogs throughout LA County, affecting many congregate facilities. Based on interviews with these facilities, many additional cases have not yet been reported to VPH. We suspect that this outbreak likely involves more than 1000 cases of CIV H3N2 in LA County dogs. Dogs that appear to have 'kennel cough' have a high likelihood of having CIV H3N2. To date, this is the largest outbreak of CIV H3N2 ever reported in LA County. To stop the spread of this outbreak, pet owners and veterinarians are strongly encouraged to vaccinate dogs against CIV H3N2 and isolate sick pets at home for 28 days from the first day of illness. Pets exposed to confirmed or suspected cases should be kept on a home quarantine and observed for clinical signs for 14 days.
    Recommendations
    Pet owners
    If your pet has symptoms of influenza, keep it away from other animals and contact your veterinarian.
    Symptoms of influenza may include: cough, fever, sneezing, discharge from the nose, lethargy, and/or loss of appetite. Some dogs have no symptoms.
    Vaccinate dogs against CIV H3N2 before they enter boarding kennels, dog day care, dog parks, or engage in dog group activities. This vaccination is also advisable for dogs that may occasionally encounter other dogs.
    The CIV vaccine is two doses, given 3-4 weeks apart. To provide time for immunity to develop, dogs should wait 2 weeks after receiving the second dose of the vaccine before entering facilities or having contact with other dogs.
    If your pet is sick, keep your pet at home for 28 days from the first day of illness - this will help to prevent your dog from spreading the disease to other dogs even after they are fully recovered.
    If your pet is asymptomatic but was exposed to other sick pets, keep your pet at home for 14 days to monitor for symptoms and then contact your vet if they become ill.
    To prevent spread of disease, do not let a sick pet share its food bowl, leash, toys, or other supplies with other pets.
    Wash your hands after touching your pet.

ghggp, Ron Atkinson, RikyR and 4 others like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Brooke and Faith's breeder actually mentioned that her daughter's Corgi (they live in LA area) had gone on a puppy playdate and came down with this flu! YIKES! No idea it was such a large outbreak! Thanks for the head's up, Ann!

3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Scary!!! So this is different than kennel cough, correct? With a special vaccine for it. Does anyone here give this? Will have to ask my vet about it. Thanks for the heads up Ann!!!! PS - BEAUTIFUL photo - is that Checkers?

ghggp, Ann, Ron Atkinson and 2 others like this.
  4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Hi Ann,
    do you know if the flu vaccine from several years ago work on this canine flu?
    I got mine vaccinated when there was that outbreak a while back and they've gotten an annual booster since then.......
    will double check with my vet but thought I'd ask if you knew.......

ghggp, RikyR, Ann and 3 others like this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Scary all the dog flu’s always going around! If there’s a large outbreak where you live I’d avoid all indoor activities (obedience classes and shows)...and stay out of dog parks always!

ghggp, Ann, Ron Atkinson and 2 others like this.
  6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Mine all get a flu shot yearly since I do shows and it’s very contagious. I don’t know if they change the serum every year to adapt to new strains like they do for the human dose though, and I’m not sure whether this is the same strain the current vaccine covers. Long way of saying we should ask our vets. I’ll report back if I find out soon.

It’s not kennel cough, Sandy, but it is respiratory. Thanks for your comment on my picture. That’s actually Flurry. She sends wags!

ghggp, Sandy in CT, RikyR and 3 others like this.
  7. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    Ann , She is so regal and beautiful I don't know how you get the pictures you do.

I am going to check with my Vet on Monday to see if Teddy needs another shot. Thanks for the warning and updates. :)

ghggp, Sandy in CT, Ann and 2 others like this.
  8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    looking back through the previous flu posts, it seems to be the same combo of letters and numbers..... guessing that means it's the same...

9. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    I checked with my Vet's Office today and she told me not to get it unless we are going to travel. Teddy is fully vaccinated otherwise. I wonder if I should insist?

Piper's mom likes this.
  10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    if you aren't travelling or boarding/daycare or dog parks, then you probably don't need to worry....
    we travel and do competitions so that's why we've kept up with it...